Memories

"Well, our readers really would love to know how you keep such an amazing figure." The reporter from 'What in Heaven's?' asked Izzy as she droned on with yet another superficial question. So far they had covered clothes, makeup and hair so diet and fitness regime was her obvious next choice.

Just for once Izzy wished she could be asked something a little more original, one of the major ethical debates perhaps or some recent political scare that had everyone considering moving to Hell. Unfortunately those topics were reserved for her husband. A lady should not be evolved in such matters. Nevertheless, this didn't help her from missing the days when she could air her view openly to Drew, knowing that he would never judge or criticize her.

Now she was sure of nothing.

"Well everything in moderation I suppose. As cliché as it sounds I just try to eat from the right food groups and exercise often." Izzy recited from the script she had been handed this morning. After seven interviews, all with the same formulaic questions, all spontaneity was out of her system and conjuring up the perfunctory smile had become more of a habit that a chore.

The reporter nodded, somewhat disappointed the scandal-less interview, though what she really expected to get out her mechanical questions Izzy certainly didn't know.

Every reporter had turned up the same, overly enthusiastic, their pen hovering over their worn notebooks as they looked at her expectantly and asked the question on everybody's lips; what had happened to her in the last six months?

Drew had attempted to deflect the media attention when she had disappeared, claiming that Izzy had fallen ill and was therefore not feeling up to public appearances or interviews but word had inevitably spread. Whispers of only one place setting at breakfast and no visits from the doctor roused the public's interest and before long conspiracy stories were lining the pages of many of the publications of Heaven.

Her sudden reappearance had done little to quell those rumours; if anything it had added fuel to the fire. But Izzy was careful not to give them any more ammunition.

With a gentle smile, as if she understood their interest, she would respond exactly as instructed. She had spent the time away at a rural retreat where she could properly recover, the details of which could not be disclosed for reasons of security. Each reporter responded in much the same way, initially crestfallen at not obtaining the scoop of the century and then a polite 'we're glad to see you back.'

Izzy was just pleased that this was the last of them, she wasn't sure how much more she could take before she needed to be treated for repetitive strain injury of the cheekbones.

"Thank you very much for you time ma'am, this should be in January's issue."

"I look forward to reading it." Izzy replied summoning all the fake enthusiasm she could muster but apparently none of her falseness showed through as the woman stood, slightly bowed and exited the room.

Izzy let out a huff of relief as soon as she was sure the reporter was far enough away and slouched down into the plush chair she had been carefully poised upon for the past three hours.

Good posture was definitely bad for you.

Unfortunately her relaxation was short-lived as a knock at the door had her spine back in its aching, board-like, position.

"The Archangel, ma'am, accompanied by Lord of the Celestial Council, Ian Branford." The guard that had been standing watch outside the study told her.

In Heaven the Archangel was like King, if you will, the Lords of the Celestial Council were just below him and helped with making important decisions about the running of the dimension. As there was only one Archangel for the whole of Heaven often a Lord would be appointed to a region where it would be his duty to look over the proceedings and ensure that everyone was content.