Chapter 6

I wasn't able to see the sun so I was measuring the days by how often I got food and water, though I'm sure my system was flawed. I knew the guards on cell duty loathed their positions and often avoided work as long as they could. Still, it seemed like I got food every day, but I was only given water when I was sleeping, so it was less consistent. Either way, I was thankful for whatever sustenance I could get and the entertainment that the food served for the short time I could gnaw on bones. Now that I wasn't concerned about my imminent death the time down in the cells dragged on and on. Very little happened down in the dungeon and I had very few things to do to pass the time and exhaust my overly active body.

I thought Griffin would come and visit me again. He had made it clear that he didn't hold my violent attack towards Selene against me and I was deeply thankful for that. It meant that no one would try and kill me for a while so it would allow me to form a less dangerous plan for getting back to my two dear friends. And he had been kind enough to undo the horrendous collar that had constricted my throat, even if he had to deal my terrified outburst to get there so that must've meant something. But he didn't come back and I slowly stopped waiting for him. Now when the door opened I just fully accepted that it was the guards coming to do their rounds. And I would remind myself that I was not to get too attached.

One day a guard threw a slab of meat into my cell. As the juicy chunk fell onto a small patch of straw I was impressed by its size. It wasn't large enough to sustain a fully active wolf, but it was certainly the largest chunk that any guard had given me. I was instantly thrilled beyond reason and certainly beyond caution.

I suppose that the generosity was my first clue that something was wrong, but I was too hungry and too bored to truly think about it. This was the most exciting thing that would occur today and I was not going to waste it. The instant the guard was out of my sight I was tearing into the bloody meat. It tasted wonderful for the first two bites, but as more food entered my stomach I began slowing down, no longer quite so ravenous. And as I took my time I realized that something wasn't quite right, but I couldn't put it into words. Another three bites went down, but I chewed more slowly in an attempt to see if the meat tasted any different. And it was ever so subtle, but there was certainly something not right with the meat that had been given to me. The smell was not what it should've been either.

I waited to be sick. I waited to be nauseous and vomiting. I laid down on a soft patch of straw, trying to listen to my body intently. Every time my stomach churned I feared that I would be sick, but overall I felt quite alright. Perhaps not perfection, just a little tired all of the sudden, but overall fine.

After a couple hours I fell asleep slowly, thinking that my meat had been a little old but otherwise harmless.

I woke up to the sound of muffled voices, but no matter how hard I strained my ears I felt like I couldn't make out the words. I could only hear my heart beating in my ears. I sniffed the air harshly, hoping that I would give me the clues that my ears couldn't, but the scents I retrieved were murky and undefined. Lastly, I turned to my eyes and though I could feel that they were open I could also sense that they weren't working properly. Everything was blurry and disoriented and covered in black blotches.

Something was very wrong with me.

The voices around me got louder, but I still couldn't see them. I tried to stand up in panic, but my legs refused to respond to my demands. It seemed like my mind was working but the connection between thought and function was lost.

I took slow, even breaths as I attempted to figure out the predicament I was on.

The first blow landed on my delicate side. I didn't know if it was a boot, a hand, or a club, but the blunt force that slammed into me made me scream out in surprise and wretched pain. At least I thought I cried. I wasn't sure if I even made a sound. My deaf ears couldn't hear much more than a high pitched whining sound. I desperately tried to move my uncoordinated body away from whatever had hit me, but my legs were weak and shaky. I hardly moved an inch before I collapsed onto my belly.