Chapter 23

"Me?" I whispered, baffled.

Thorn hated me now, I was sure of it. I couldn't fathom how I would be any use to him at all anymore.

Hunter nodded his head slowly, watching my calculating expression. He took the smallest step backwards and I tried not to flinch at the gesture of self-preservation that I had once been so used to. Yes, he was moving away from me but I understood that the sign of fear had nearly nothing to do with me and the moment we were currently in. He had been living with Thorn for too long. It was only natural for him to assume a violent outburst would follow such an intense confession. And I'm sure he was still reeling from whatever beating he had received after he protected me. But I was not Thorn and I would never lay a hand on an innocent messenger, especially not one that was my dearest friend.

"What could Thorn want from me now? He knows I have not chosen to fight alongside him." I mused, pacing once more.

Hunter opened his mouth to respond but all that left his chapped lips was a feeble, hoarse noise followed by a harsh cough. Deciding that he had pushed his throat beyond its working capacity for the time being his hands rose upwards to gestured then paused. His eyes flashed to my brother who was watching the conversation intently. Clearly, he trusted me to control my emotions but was not so sure about the man who had threatened him with a sword less than a few hours ago. Regardless, the message seemed to be too important to keep to himself. Turning back to me he subtly pointed to his heart.

It took me a moment to understand his motion. I didn't understand why Thorn would have anything to do with my heart or why I could have anything to do with his. But it dawned on me. Then I stiffened, my back straightening and my teeth tightening against each other. My chin rose a notch and I could feel the hardened expression flickering across my face.

"I see."

"Violet, what does he mean?" Oliver demanded, watching but not understanding.

"Thorn and I a relationship before I met Griffin." I admitted, already knowing there would be one hell of a rebuttal from him.

"Romantically?"

"Yes."

"My God, and now he wants you back?"

"It would appear that way."

"We have to tell the king immediately." Oliver announced, leaping into action without a second thought.

If I had been any less concerned about the situation at hand I would've been impressed by his loyalty. He had never been like this with my father's pack. Sure, he knew his duty there but it always seemed like he knew the pack was doomed, this was different. At the smallest sign of danger he was running to defend the royal family. But telling the king meant that my secret would be out and it would be announced at the least opportune time.

"No." I denied.

"No? Are you crazy? You just told me that you had a romantic relationship with a man who wishes to disassemble the royals and you don't want me to tell them? I know that you were raised by these people but even you have to see that this is dangerous for everyone."

"It's not dangerous." I countered, but I wasn't so sure. "Thorn is just hurt that I left him. we were a team before I met Griffin and then I switched sides. He doesn't have a mate, he doesn't understand my need to be with the prince. I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding. If I could just talk to him-"

"You're being absurd. You need to tell Griffin now or I will tell him for you." Oliver threatened.

"Oliver, just listen to me, please. We can handle this ourselves. I don't want to put Griffin and his family in any danger, but I'm finally on good terms with my mate. In fact, he's planning my wedding to him right now. If this gets out the whole kingdom will have to know why the wedding was postponed and I can't do that to him. Knowing that I was with a man who wishes for his downfall would crush Griffin and I know he wouldn't be able to handle the shame if other people knew. Just give me one chance to stop this and if it doesn't work then I will tell Griffin everything myself."

Oliver's attentive eyes searched my face repeatedly. I wasn't sure what he was looking for but I met his gaze evenly. He could not see how afraid I was. He had to think that I was solid, that I could handle this, even if it went sour- as it undoubtedly would with Thorn.

"Let's come up with a plan now and put it into action as soon as possible." He agreed tightly. "I'm only giving you one chance. I'm not risking my king for the sake of saving your dignity."

His words hurt, but I attempted to disregard them. He had given me a chance, that was all that mattered.

Hunter was an integral part of the planning process. Though he was quiet and mostly communicated through gestures I was able to understand him enough to gain the information we so desperately needed to be successful. Thorn was coming for me and he wasn't waiting by idly, though I hadn't expected him to. He had always been a man of impulse. So when Hunter expressed that Thorn would be coming shortly I knew he meant tomorrow, early in the morning. Hunter nodded along eagerly with the majority of my assumptions and Oliver listened closely, adding additional information. Within an hour we knew where Thorn would be, who would be with him, and how we were going to reach him without the interaction turning bloody.

"I'll take him and round up a few of my men." Oliver stated with a nod towards Hunter. " We'll meet him in the woods and keep the whole thing as quiet as possible."

"Absolutely not." I snapped, "Thorn is going to be furious with Hunter for ruining his plans and he is already injured. Hunter will stay here where he is safe and I will go in his place."

"Don't be ridiculous." Oliver scoffed.

"I'm not. I know Thorn better than anyone. He is wild and aggressive, sure. But I also know that he won't stop until he gets what he wants. You and your men might chase him away and intimidate him for a while, but he will keep coming back until he gets what he wants and each time he'll get angrier and angrier. I need to be there, I need to have a conversation with him."

"It's dangerous."

"Do you not trust your men to protect me?" I taunted.

My eyes snapped off of my combative brother as we both heard my bedroom door open. And with the brightest smile Griffin strode into the room. While my tense shoulders slumped Oliver only hunched up further. Hunter seemed to want to melt into the background, but just stood feebly.

"Our guards can protect you from anything, can't they Oliver?" He announced, tossing his arm around my brother's shoulders.

"Yes, of course." Oliver grunted.

"Then it's settled." I concluded, knowing I was undercutting him.

"Did I interrupt something?" Griffin asked, finally feeling the tense atmosphere that was hovering in the air like a fog.

"Not all."

Griffin bright blue eyes floated around the room, not believing my words. And when his gaze landed on the shy Hunter I had to repress the instinct to step in front of my companion. I had spent so long protecting Hunter from everyone that it was impossible to break the habit.

"We have a new addition?"

"He is a rogue who helped me survive." I murmured.

"Welcome." Griffin said, his wonderful smile returning as he nodded his head in acknowledgement, "Any friend of Violet's is a friend of mine."

He had no idea how wrong he was.

*****Hey guys! I have some exciting news. I am getting published! Woohoo! I'm absolutely stoked about the opportunity to have my book published. So for the next few months I will be working with a publishing team to get The Princess and The Alpha published! I know a lot of readers came from that book and it would mean the world to me if you continued to support me. In addition to this I feel like I'm finally in a place where I can be relatively consistent so this book is going to be updated once a week from now on. Happy reading!****