Chapter 22

"He's my family!" I screamed as I watched my brother and the others racing towards the whimpering and cowering little wolf. That little wolf had saved their prince and had saved me as well.

And by some miracle that confession made my suddenly bloodthirsty brother falter. He shifted his weight suddenly, almost skidding to a stop before he whirled around to look at me. The other guards took notice to the way their superior had halted and they all slowed down, confused but no longer progressing forward. They all stayed tense, ready to lunge forward and deal one fatal swipe with their swords, but I only cared that they had stopped.

"He's a rogue!" Oliver snarled as I raced to the group of guards. With the shock of my sudden admission out of the way he began moving slowly towards his original target again.

"Hunter didn't ask to become a rogue." I countered, quickening my pace, "He was thrown out by his parents, he had no other choice."

"I don't care." He moved his blade backwards, generating momentum.

"Oliver, I swear to God if you hurt him I will never forgive you."

I finally reached the group and clearly my threat had worked. I slowed to a stop beside my brother. Oliver was no longer progressing towards Hunter. He was furious. His eyes were dark and his lips were pressed together in a tight line as he was torn between following the wishes of his newly found sister and doing his duty to the king. I lightly placed my hand on his forearm, pulling his full focus onto me.

"Oliver, he is my family. He's all I had after you left and dad got a new wife."

"Oh good, he's a part of the pack that is trying to bring down the prince, your mate, because of his human nature."

My face flushed with a vibrant red at his comment. There was no doubt in my mind that the guards surrounding us could hear his sharp words. Their eyes snapped towards us for a split second then darted away, attempting to looking impassive as they processed what had just been revealed. I could hardly imagine what they were thinking, but it wasn't important right now. All that mattered was controlling this situation as best I could.

"He is my friend and I'm sure that we can sort this out as soon as you stop threatening him with your men and their weapons." I reasoned.

As Oliver sheathed his sword his men did the same. Hunter uncurled his body a fraction and I saw a flicker of optimism in his terrified eyes. But I knew Oliver better, he was stubborn and far too cautious. I don't doubt that his traits had gotten here, to this enviable job, and I knew that he was not sure about trusting my judgement just yet. This moment of lenience was not going to be as straightforward as it seemed.

Though Oliver's face would always be round and boyish his eyes were almost violently furious with me when he faced me. With a wave of his hand everyone around him began retreating, wary and watchful, but compliant.

"Keep a close eye on him, if anything goes astray the blood will be on your hands." He warned with an edge of fear creeping in.

I just gave a curt nod and stayed with Hunter until all of the men dispersed.

"Come," I whispered, starting to stroll towards the palace.

"What are you doing?" Oliver demanded, "You can't just walk a rogue around the palace!"

"He needs a safe place to shift, especially after your announcement." I countered, not even turning to look at him.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. You have to understand that protecting the royal family has been my life since I left home. It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that you were ever a rogue and seeing him here made me act impulsively."

"I understand, but now you have changed circumstances." I agreed.

Oliver fall silent as we entered the palace. We received a few strange stares from the guards but less than I anticipated. I knew it was because Oliver was walking behind Hunter, letting me lead but making his presence known. After a short walk we reached my room and Hunter relaxed ever so slightly, finally in a contained space with less people.

"Agatha, can you please help Hunter with a bath after he shifts?" I asked, then turned to Oliver, "Go to the kitchen and ask for some food for him. And he's going to need clothes."

"I'm not leaving two women here with a rogue." Oliver denied.

"Does he look like he's capable of hurting anyone?" I demanded, indicating Hunter's quivering form.

"I'll go but I'm posting a guard by your door just in case."

I had always known there was something different, something special, about Agatha. She understood me in a way that no one else seemed to grasp. Though she was always subtle and quiet around others when I was the only one present she stronger, firmer, and so wise. And watching her handle a frightened Hunter only confirmed the fact that she knew exactly how to handle wolves. After only a minute of coaxing and soft words she had Hunter in human form, something I hadn't seen in ages. And before I could get a word out of him he was ushered off to the bath.

I paced for several minutes in his absence. I hadn't seen him in so long and my last memory of him was the way he stood up to Thorn and how he slinked after the violent leader of our little pack. I wanted to know what had happened after I had left with Griffin, my choice clear. I wanted to know what was said and if the pack had grown and if my actions had hurt Thorn. Now I had an option to have the answers I so badly needed and waiting seemed to drive my restless brain wild.

"He means a lot to you, doesn't he?" Oliver mused after he returned and gave Agatha the clothing I asked for.

"More than I ever thought possible. He was always the most fragile of the group, I felt like I had to take care of him and it's made me very protective."

"He's here now."

"But why? When Griffin found me Hunter made a very clear choice to stay with Thorn."

"I'm sure everything will be explained. Fretting like this won't help either of you. He definitely seems like a skittish creature and you aren't exactly recovered since your last adventure. Please, sit down and eat something."

"He needs the food more than I do."

"There's enough for both of you." Oliver assured just as the door creaked open.

I still refused to be sated, only turning to stare at Hunter as he exited the bathroom. The eyes that I knew so well were still timid, downcast, and anxious. But in place of the fur and paws I knew so well that was smooth, dark skin and uncoordinated limbs. He was all human now, wearing a dark shirt and ill fitted pants with his wet hair tied at the nape of his neck. But he was still Hunter. And then he was in my arms. I was hardly ever affectionate with Hunter but seeing him alive and well pumped so much relief and joy into my body that I had to touch him, hold him, know that he was real.

But as I squeezed him tight he let out a hiss of pain. My arms fell away instantly and I took a step back, already knowing what had happened. I cursed myself for not knowing better and acting on impulse.

"I knew he was going to punish you for defending me." I whispered.

Hunter just met my eyes with a somber expression.

"Why are you here, he'll never let you come back now that you've opposed him twice."

"Too strong." Hunter managed, his voice unrefined and soft.

My mind raced for completion of his statement, "Too strong? Was he violent with your punishment?"

Hunter nodded, but seemed displeased with my answer, "Pack."

"He has a pack? Bigger than before? Bigger than the group that I saw?"

Hunter nodded again. "Ready."

"He's ready?" I whispered, not understanding then dread flooded my soul, "Ready for what, Hunter? What does he want?"

"You." He barely managed.