Chapter 20

There was no time to process what I was doing. All I was concerned with was how well Griffin fit in my arms and how lovely the soft breaths felt against my skin. And before I could even fully realize what I was doing my teeth had penetrated the skin and I was marking my mate. I was committing one of the most sacred parts of the mating process and it happened so quickly and so desperately that I almost hadn't seen the progression until it was too late.

There was a split second of resistance, which I didn't expect. Griffin attempted to jerk away from me, squirming away from the pain that was caused by the tearing of the skin. Part of me was concerned with his fragile human state then. But his fight died when we were both overwhelmed with pleasure.

His tense muscles that had been holding him back from me instantly relaxed and he slumped onto me, allowing me to sink my teeth in deeper. The stiff, tense hands loosened and his shoulders dropped. As my eyes rolled back and a muffled groan poured out of my mouth I felt strong fingers press against back, pulling me towards my mate. And Griffin was breathing hard against my ear, his chest rising and falling against mine in between his soft moans. Sometimes he was even able to mutter my name. The warmth that flooded me only confirmed my earlier thoughts.

With Griffin was where I needed to be. Regardless of my past and no matter what the future held Griffin would always be my mate and my acceptance of him was permanent. Just being with him now was heavenly and it seemed impossible that I had ever left him.

But the pleasure subsided ever so slowly. It was still lovely and validating, but it was no longer overpowering me in a complete sense. I adored the thought of my mark being on Griffin's neck, I loved the way his body was pressing up against mine with such urgency, and I wanted to hear the quiet noises he made when he felt so good. But I was becoming aware of the fact that we were standing in my bedroom with several words still unresolved around us and my teeth were piercing his very human throat.

I eased back. I carefully removed my jagged canines and the hands that had been clinging to his soft, white shirt now released. My eyes stayed on the beautiful wound my teeth had left, filled with joy. But my thoughts quickly progressed to the other recent wound I had given him , one that was bore out of a fit of rage and not one of acceptance. Maybe he saw the two actions as the same. Dread pooled in my stomach and I opened my mouth to apologize.

But Griffin was faster.

"You marked me." He whispered, one hand carefully touching the dimpled skin that was already healing.

"Fin, I..." I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what I could say to make it better.

He started taking small, slow steps towards me and I shuffled backwards, unsure of what he was thinking. Perhaps my wild instincts had led me astray and he saw my actions as wild and violent instead of tender. I knew that he would never hurt me but that wouldn't stop him from being angry at me and so shortly after our previous spat I wasn't sure I could take it. But the back of my knees hit my bed, leaving me out of distance to make up. I stayed still, deciding that I would have to face him regardless.

"You want me." He breathed. And I saw the utter joy sparkling in those kind blue eyes.

And before I could respond, before I could agree to the happiness and excitement in his voice or react at all his hands were cradling my cheeks. His vivid blue eyes searched mine, gauging my reaction to his touch, then his gaze dropped down to the heavy freckles on my nose, and finally to my lips. I was sucking in unsteady breaths, wondering what he was going to do, if he was going to brave enough to do what I wanted. Because, more than anything, I wanted all the things I had been denying myself of since I first saw him.

Then his chin tilted and his head lowered and I knew I was going to get what I wished for. My eyes fluttered shut just as his mouth met mine.

I had deemed Griffin to be a lot of things. He was outstandingly caring and compassionate. He was patient in the hardest of scenarios. He was tender and forgiving, slow and gentle.