Chapter 13

Three days past easily while I remained with my old friends. My voice got stronger. My human body had completely healed from any leftover wounds that occurred during the brutal attack, leaving only faint, pink scars on my soft skin. My movements had become more coordinated and I had started to bond with the newest recruits.

But it all led to a strange feeling. It had always been Thorn, Hunter and me. That's it. We had been a small, but tough trio that had defied wild odds and prowled through the woods at night. We helped each other when we were all at our lowest points and we no longer had anyone else to rely on. We had become a family. And it seemed like the moment I left the family dynamic had changed and adapted and I felt like I hadn't been prepared for it. I almost felt jealous though it was foolish.

On the other hand I was nearly thankful that I had been taken by the guards. There were some realities I had forgotten about.

Thorn and I had never openly discussed the fact that we would be together. It was just fact. He was the strong leader of the group with good sense and a healthy body. I was the second in command, the daughter of a strong alpha and a beautiful luna. Together we would have strong, smart pups that could conquer the world if they wanted to. We knew we weren't mates, but we also assumed the likelihood of stumbling onto our true mates while on the run was slim. It wasn't particularly romantic, but it had been our reality and we both tolerated it. In fact, at the time it had seemed like a good idea.

Things were very different now. I knew that Griffin was meant for me, even if he was the prince. Thorn was hardly able to replace him. Thankfully, he hadn't tried to kiss me again, but he did tell me I needed to remain in human form so I would be more useful when I infiltrated the castle again. His domineering ways had not changed. And when the sun set and the other pack members would begin to doze off he would always sit quietly beside me, one hand on my thigh or wrapped around my waist. Each and every time he did it made me more uneasy. I knew he could sense it but he refused to stop.

On the third night I decided that I could not stay silent anymore. My voice was stronger, I could speak in full sentences now and he needed to know the truth about Griffin and all those who lived in the castle with him. I could not continue this charade any longer.

"I always knew you were special." Thorn murmured to me but his eyes were locked on the setting sun. "With you on our side we will have full access to the palace and its guards. They will never see out attack coming. This couldn't have happened more perfectly, Violet. Just as I find more werewolves believing in our cause you discover you are mated to the prince."

"Thorn," I whispered. "we need to talk about this."

"Don't worry, there aren't any plans in motion just yet," he soothed.

"No, I don't want to start planning." I managed.

"Then what are you worried about?"

"The prince, he's my mate."

"I know, it's perfect." Thorn agreed with a massive grin.

"He's a good man." I stated boldly, knowing that those little words would cause Thorn to break.

Thorn's unnervingly serious eyes snapped away from the other pack members and the horizon. The forest that surrounded us was no longer his concern. When his gaze fell on me I couldn't help but squirm with discomfort.

"That's the problem, Violet. He's a man." Thorn snarled, "He is a man attempting to rule over our kind. Have you lost sight of that already?"

"I know, but he's not what I thought." I argued, but stared at my hands.