chapter 16

But now...she knows I love her. She knows this is for life. The ten carat diamond ring on her finger should tell her that. And now I'm giving her the last thing that she had to want for. Her freedom. I think it's fair that she gives me this.

ALTHEA

Isn't it the woman who usually rushes these types of things? Gavin has been very adamant about his desire for us to start a family from the beginning. No doubt, he was hoping I'd become pregnant the first time we had sex. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

I've always wanted to marry a rich older man, but I've also always been terrified of the idea of having children. It's not childbirth that scares me, but the thought of being left a single parent like my mom was. Raising a kid on your own is hard. Once you have children, your life is no longer your own. You'll do whatever it takes to keep them clothed and fed and safe. Without a college education, my life would be over if Gavin got me pregnant and then left me. I would suffer the same fate as my mother, working day in and out to get by. Given the strange circumstances of our meeting, I couldn't take that chance. Even though he said we would be together forever, how could I really have known if that was true or not? At any moment, he could get sick of me and cast me aside—realize he made a mistake. I told him as much the night I decided to try to convince him to wear a condom, but he wouldn't listen. He insisted that I had nothing to worry about, that he would take care of the baby and me forever.

I spent the entirety of the next day going over what-ifs inside my head. What if he got me pregnant and we broke up? I could use the money in my account to pay for an abortion, but I know I wouldn't have the heart to do something like that. Knowing I had a little life growing inside of me...No, not an option. Plan b would be to go after Gavin for child support. He could easily afford to care for our child's expenses, and I doubt he would make excuses or defer on his payments like many other men do. He's the one who wants this baby, after all. Hell, he might even fight me for custody, which is something else I didn't want to have to think about. Too much could have gone wrong, and everything was still uncertain. I just couldn't chance getting pregnant by a man I knew little about, so I did the only thing that seemed logical. I went to the doctor and got an IUD inserted. I had to make sure it was a method of birth control that he wouldn't find out about, but that was wishful thinking. His stupidly big dick must be able to reach further inside of me than I thought because he noticed the IUD almost the second he stuck it in.

I try not to think about that fight because those were the darkest days of our relationship. I've never wanted to run away more in all my life. But I couldn't escape. Even though he was pissed off, Gavin still came after me. I was certain that our days together were numbered, that he would eventually get tired of me defying him and one day just not show to pick me up from work.

But then, like the clouds receding after a storm, he broke down and decided to let me have my way. I was never more thankful, because I do want to be with him. Just like everything else, he was moving too fast for me to keep up.

This still feels too fast, but I know him so much better now. We've been living together for three months, and not once has Gavin ever lied to me. He's showered me with gifts and affection, made me feel like a princess. All he's asked of me in return is to stay with him. In hindsight, our relationship seems almost one-sided. He gives and gives and gives, and I just exist. Maybe he deserves this baby.

I clutch the phone in my hand, staring down at the screen. He's given yet again. I'm not just holding a phone. I'm holding my freedom. Slowly over the past several weeks, what started out as a business transaction has turned into an actual relationship. I'm no longer his property, but his fiancée. He's introduced me to what few friends he has, and I've taken him to meet some of my other family members. We've become a real genuine couple.