Part 6-Lolita and Humbert

I remember it being a quiet night that Thursday. The moon might have been trying to clear out from the clouds. It was the perfect night to have her here in my arms. But I knew that night things would not be the same.

When Delena arrived she laid on the bed. She noticed something was bothering me. It was time that I confessed this secret I kept from her.

"There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I'm married."

"WHAT? YOU'RE MARRIED? YOU NEVER BOTHER TO TELL ME THIS UNTIL NOW?"

"Listen. When I first moved into this neighborhood it was close to my new job."

"That I understand but what about this wife of yours?"

"My marriage is nothing more but a sham! We see each other only now and then. She doesn't care what I do as long as her family and friends don't hear about it first."

She turned her face away. "Are you in love with her?"

"Nope."

"What about her?"

"Our marriage is like a betrothal. She sees it as an excuse to be attention seeking if you ask me."

"Why do you have to leave?"

"Delena, I cannot bear the fact of our relationship getting exposed. It's far too dangerous. Especially for you."

Tears started to form in her eyes.

Like the relationship of Lolita and Humbert, this was forbidden. Even though no one was being exploited or hurt.

I heard a song from Bonnie Raitt playing in the background.

Describes my so-called marriage to perfection.

"Boone, I wish you didn't have to leave."

I hugged her tightly.

"I wish I didn't have to either."

I looked down, my thoughts of anger and sadness eating me inside.

"I'm sorry Delena."

She continued to cry and I calmed her down. Delena got up and headed for the door. We had one last glance at each other. Feelings of sorrow and heartache filling the air.

"Goodbye Boone."

"Goodbye... Delena."