Sacrifice -2-

-2- (PIC OF ANNA ON THE SIDE)

Four Years Later

The past three years I had been living with the Mason family - of course my parents visited whenever they got the chance. I had been out of school for three years as well.

Anna had grown into a lively little girl. She liked to be around me since I always reciprocate her enthusiasm. Her hair was dark brown like mine, but pin-straight like Elena’s and she had her sparkling sapphire eyes. 

Today, I was babysitting her while the family was out. All except Aaron who was upstairs. In the past three years we had become friends, but nothing more. At this point, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to be anything more with him since I cherished our friendship so much - I really didn’t want to lose him. 

Anna is sleeping, so I decide I’ll call my parents. I hadn’t called them in the past two weeks, and they weren’t visiting for a couple more weeks. My mom picked up, “Hi, ‘Stasia.” 

“Hey, how are you and dad doing?” 

“We are fine, I’m assuming you are great. No pregnant, eloped-”

“No mom,” I blush. 

“No even with the Mason’s other son?”

“MOM!” I shriek. 

She laughs, “I’m only teasing, ‘Stasia! I’ll tell your father his hunch was correct.”

“What hunch?” I ask suspiciously. 

“He thinks you and Aaron are a couple.”

“We aren’t mom, we are just friends!” 

“Auntie An?” I hear Anna call. 

“Mom, Anna is calling me, can I talk to you later?” 

“Sure thing, ‘Stasia. Bye.” 

I hang up the phone and find Anna in the door way. She look pale. “Are you not feeling well?” 

She nods, “Will you sit with me?” 

“Sure thing,” I slowly bring her to the couch to sit with me. I turn on a cartoon for her to watch. She feels awfully warm. As I start doze off, her shaking makes me look at her. She is shaking like she is freezing, but she still feels like she has a fever. 

“I’m calling you parents,” I tell her. As I dial the number, Anna begins to scream. I look up abruptly, to find Anna has disappeared and a wolf with snow white fur is in her place staring at me with sapphire eyes. 

“Hello?” Elena asks. 

I drop the phone and begin to freak out, I collapse to the ground and everything become dark before I can process the possibilities of what has just happened before me. 

“Anastasia! Anastasia, wake up!” I blink once before meeting Aaron’s emerald eyes. Reality sinks in and I begin to freak out again. “Anastasia, breathe or you’ll faint again. What happened?” 

“Anna... oh my gosh... No.”

“What happened to Anna?”

“She wasn’t feeling well. She felt sick so I sat down on the couch to watch a movie with her. T-then...”

“What?”

“She began shaking... I picked the phone up to ask Elena and Charlie what I should do, and I turned around to look at her. Only it wasn’t her on the couch...” I grew silent, trying to think of any logical explanation that didn’t involve mythical creatures. “She was a wolf.” 

“Where is she now?” 

“I don’t know, I fainted. Wait- if she was and that means Elena or Charlie... and that means...” 

“I’m getting the rest of the family. Stay here,” Aaron says, leaving the room to get his cell phone. 

The sudden realization that the entire family could be werewolves dawns on me. Why wouldn’t they- I’m being ridiculous. Werewolves don’t exist, that is just stupid fantasy! But how could Anna...? Or what if I just looked behind me at the wrong moment? Aaron didn’t know where Anna was and I was responsible for her! If she was lost or hurt... or a wolf, it was my fault! I had to find her for Elena and Charlie’s sake.

I rush out of the castle before Aaron returns. I exit through the servant’s quarters and head into the wooded backyard where Skyler, Aaron and I practiced archery - even though they are much better than I will ever be.

I go through the woods, “Anna! Anna! Are you out here?” 

“Auntie An!?” I hear a soft voice deeper in the forest. 

I race to the voice, not caring that I scrap myself on shrub leaves and branches and rose bush thorns. I hear thunder in the distance and know that I can’t leave Anna in the woods, wolf or human. 

I find the small child, her brown hair covering her face, but I can her a quiet whimper. I notice her legs are scratched - probably from they same shrubs that scratched me. I approach her and ask, “Why are you out here?”

“You went to sleep and I started feeling better so I went on an amazing adventure, but I scraped myself,” She pouts touching her leg. 

“Let me see,” I kneel down next to her and look at the long gash. “Are you sure that is just a scrap. It could get infected. Let’s go inside.” I help her up and carry her to the lawn before I start feeling a stinging in my wrist.  “I’m sorry, I have to set you-” I scream in pain. Something is burning me from the inside out. “Anna, get help,” I order in between screams. I don’t know if she listens or not, I close my eyes tightly and curl up in a ball on the ground. The pain intensifies every second and I wonder if I am dying? What is happening to me? I didn’t eat anything spoiled. I didn’t have any poisonous berries. Could this be the end for me? 

As I am screaming that I barely noticed Anna has gotten help. “Shh!” I hear Aaron’s calm, steady voice murmur. “It’ll be alright. The others will be back soon. I have to bring you inside.” 

“No... I can’t-”

“You don’t have to do anything,” He says and I feel the air rush by as I am lifted from the forest ground to being cradled in his arms. “I know you are in pain.”

“Am I going to die?” 

“No, you aren’t, Anastasia.” 

“It feels like it,” My next scream is muffled by his hand. 

“You can’t scream, until I set you down. I’ll explain everything to you when you wake up,” He promises. 

“Wake up, but I’m not...” 

“Trust me,” - I feel the comfort of my bed, but I am still in pain - “I’ll be back in a moment.” 

Four seconds pass and I don’t hear him approach, but I feel a pinch in my arm. “Morphine,” He explains the pinch, but I haven’t opened my eyes since I collapsed outside. “When the pain is too much it will knock you out.” 

“How do I-”

“Just close your eyes. When you wake up, I will explain everything to you. Don’t worry.”