Sacrifice -10-

“Hold on,” Vincent says. “This person is dangerous.” 

“And insane.” 

“And creepy.”

“And heartless.” 

“Guys, no one in the right mind would a kill a princess. It probably some nomad wolf who doesn’t know who we are-”

“They addressed it to me, Elena,” I interrupt. “They know us and they are not thrilled that I’m Aaron’s wife. If you go you could be killed next!”

“Anastasia is right, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle if it if either of you were sent here in a card board box with a stake through your heart.” 

“They killed our littler girl. We are going,” Elena says. 

“We will have our phones and will call if anything bad happens,” Charlie promises. 

They leave and we can’t stop them no matter how much we try to warn them about the sanity of the werewolf who killed Anna. Aaron follows me into my room and begins pacing, “I really think Ryan is behind this. I worry for Elena and Charlie. The boy is power crazy.” 

“Wait... wouldn’t that mean he would want to kill you?” 

“You as well,” He says. “But it is only a theory, I can’t be sure that it is actually him behind all of this.” 

“Maybe if I play another song it will help calm you down?” I suggest. 

“It might,” He shrugs. “I like it when you sing. It’s like the world evaporates for a moment and it is just you and me.” 

“Come on,” I tug at his arm pulling him down into the parlor. Vincent and Makeena had moved Anna’s body to the basement where guards wouldn’t find it, but at the time they were working on constructing a glass coffin for the tiny princess. 

I sit down and before playing I press my lips to Aaron’s cheek, “Everything will be alright. Things have to get worse before they get better.” 

“I’ll trust you because you are adorable, but I honestly don’t see how things can get much worse,” He sighs. 

I press my fingers to the ivory keys. 

I remember tears streaming down your face

When I said, "I'll never let you go"

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone"

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window darling

Everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold on to this lullaby

Even when the music's gone

Gone

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now

Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound

Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh

La La (La La)

La La (La La)

Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh

La La (La La)

Just close your eyes

You'll be alright

Come morning light,

You and I'll be safe and sound...

I look over to Aaron who is now in a thoughtful trance. His features have smoothed out, I remember I can read his mind to figure out what has him captivated. 

He was think of my singing. I felt flattered, that I had the ability to distract from such a drastic state of turmoil. I wrap my arms around him, he responds seconds later and presses his lips to mine. 

The buzzing of his phone in his back pocket brings us both back down to reality. “Who is it?” I ask. 

“Charlie,” His face pales. He must be in trouble. “Hello?” Aaron has the phone on speaker phone. 

I cover my mouth with my hands when I hear the voice on the other line. Ryan. “Remember me, cousin?”

“Why do you have Charlie’s phone, Ryan?” Aaron glares at his phone. 

“Did your wife like the present I sent her?”

“What do you want from us?” 

“I want to be king and she will be my queen. You can’t go steal such a delicate lady from me that easily, cousin.” 

Aaron ignores him, “What have you done to Elena and Charlie?”

“If you ever want to see them again, give up the throne. You know my whole plan is working perfectly. I knew your brother and his wife would come searching for the man who killed Anna. You have twenty-four hours to make a public announcement of handing the throne to me or else.” 

The line is dead. Aaron remains frozen even as the door bell rings. I open the door and am surprised to see Elena and Charlie alive. They are battered, but alive. Elena is holding up Charlie, and I call, “Aaron! Help!” 

He is at my side in an instant and carries Charlie to the couch as I help Elena. “What happened?” He asks Elena since Charlie can barely stay awake. 

“We were kidnapped by Ryan,” She explains. “He only hurt me when I tried to help Charlie. He is pretty bad. Skyler might be able to help him, she’s been training hasn’t she?” 

“Yes-”

“How much blood did he lose?” Skyler literally appears out of thin air. 

“I’m not sure... a lot?” 

Skyler examines her brother, “I can help him, you both will need a few days to recuperate. At least we now know who killed Anna.”