Sacrifice -6-

-6-

I was running in the forest, I didn’t bother to look back to find out why I was running, but the fear I felt was enough to tell me that I couldn’t take that risk. 

I stop abruptly as Aaron blocks my path. He picks me up and starts to gently kiss me. My eyes are wide from shock, and as he is kissing me I try to warn him of the figure behind him, in the dark forest. It seems like he can’t hear me at all. 

As the figure slowly moves into the moon light I recognize the shining chocolate eyes. Ryan. He is grinning and out of the corner of my eyes I notice something shiny. I can’t look away as I watch him drag the shiny tool along Aaron’s neck. 

I blink and suddenly I am in a bright room. I look across from me to see Ryan in a tuxedo. I look down to see I am wearing an extravagant wedding dress and I catch the glimpse of a severed arm beneath me. I scream in horror although no one hears me. It is like everyone is frozen. Myself included. 

I try to run, but I can’t, I realize I am standing on a pile of corpses. As I look around me I begin to recognize the faces. Aaron. Anna. Elena. Skyler. Charlie. Makeena and Vincent. My own parents. 

I try screaming for help again.

I gasp looking around my room, breathing heavily. I feel cold, frozen. I don’t think I can erase that sight from my mind. This was exactly what I had been worrying about. Aaron having haters because he was marrying me, some average girl. 

He is such a jerk! He think he can play around with my feelings and just decide to have us get married. We are friends, even though after that kiss I want more, he couldn’t possibly love some peasant girl. 

I wondered if the council knew he was doing it in the spur of the moment. Usually men propose with rings - even if they are cheap. Would they soon realize the fact that Aaron had did it to get them to leave? Maybe I should tell them that I backed out of the marriage and deal with the consequences. 

I don’t think I can live with the guilt of making Aaron settle for me. Sure, we get along great, but he needs a strong woman. I’m still a child at heart and mind, I’m not royal material. 

I didn’t even know werewolves existed a few weeks ago. I was born into this life, and now that I was here I felt awkward and misplaced. I only knew the Mason family and now the council, but it didn’t seem like I’d be making friends with the council men. Especially Ryan after that horrifying dream. 

Why did he kiss me? He didn’t even know me for five minutes and was already shoving his tongue down my throat. 

Thinking of kissing made my mind go back to Aaron’s gentle kiss. I still felt the butterflies, just thinking of it. His gentle hands, one on my waist and the other holding up my chin. His soft, warm lips caressing my own. Why did he have to do that? Now I imprinted on him - as Skyler immediately understood. She told me it wasn’t something I could help, but yet again I felt guilt for that as well. Aaron could never be married to the one he truly loves (whoever she is) because of me. 

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and look at my alarm clock that reads ten a.m. I get up and decide I should go get breakfast since I skipped all of yesterday’s meals. My growling stomach agrees with my notion and I swiftly head out of my room to avoid running into Aaron. 

As I am headed down the stairs, I hear Aaron’s deep voice from behind me, “What did you mean, Anastasia?” 

I ignore him, but before I can get down to the parlor, he grabs my wrists. My brown eyes meet with his emerald ones yet again and he repeats, “What did you mean, Anastasia?

“About?” I ask, annoyed that he caught me. 

“When you said ‘this isn’t funny’. What did you mean?” He asks.

“I don’t appreciate that you were so willing to throw your entire love life away just to get the council men to leave. You could have made up a lie about some princess, yet you chose me. I was not amused.” 

“Anastasia, I was being serious.” 

I sigh, “Well I’m starving so if you don’t mind-” 

“You can’t ignore me anymore, we are talking about this whether you like it or not. You do realize if I am such a bad fiancee you could have just said ‘no’.” 

“First, you suggested saying ‘yes’. Second, the council men where there. And third, it has nothing to do with you, Aaron. I am not right for you. I’m surprised you even tolerate me as a friend,” I rip my hand from his arm making my way to the kitchen. 

“You are not doing yourself any justice there, Anastasia,” Aaron corrects. “I was serious.”

“No you weren’t, Aaron,” I pull the ingredients for french toast out of the pantry. “You never smile when you are being serious.”

“What?” 

“After four years of living with you guys, there are things I notice,” I shrug. 

“I was, Anastasia. I want to marry you,” He says. 

I grab a cereal bar, I can’t stand this, “Well that is not how you normally propose to a girl.” 

“How would you do?” 

“Well first of all, not in front of the council men and one who tried to shove his tongue down my throat. And usually the two are dating,” I explain. 

“I swear I’m being serious-” 

“I can’t. I feel bad for ruining your... I can’t explain how mad I am at myself,” I run out of the kitchen and up to my room. I lock the door, but I know now that it won’t stop Aaron. So I use the bathroom window to leave the castle unnoticed. My agility and balance has improved tenfold since I became a werewolf. I shift in a wolf and run out to the forest where no one will find me. 

I should have gotten cats when I had the chance.