Sacrifice -12-

-12-

“Looks like we have visitors,” Ryan turns his back to me to face the shattered window missing as the shadows cross to the other side of the room. One dark figure tackles Ryan catching both of us of guard. They wrestle each other and I look around wondering where the second shadow is. 

I feel a tugging on the restraints and look down to notice Aaron making the signal for me to remain silent. He unties me while Skyler distracts Ryan, “Where is the stake?” 

“In Elena,” I point to her lifeless corpse. 

I can only watch in horror was Ryan throws Skyler off him making her bang her head against  one of the cages causing a loud ring to fill the entire room. She is a bit crooked getting up, but she kicks him square in the jaw sending him flying towards me. 

Ryan gets up and wraps an arm around me and I feel something sharp pressed against my neck, “Be care or the girl gets it.”

Aaron and Skyler watch Ryan with cautious eyes. Skyler steps forward and I screech as the blade makes a deep ‘X’ gash on my chest. I collapse and I feel blood pouring out of me quickly like I am a popped water balloon. 

Aaron hisses and pounces on Ryan slamming the stakes through his chest in one lucky shot. I feel hands examining me and I hear Skyler’s steady voice, “Anastasia, you must stay away, you can’t...” 

I feel Aaron’s lips pressed against my forehead, “Anastasia, please, I can’t lose you.” 

“You won’t,” I croak. 

I feel him squeeze my hand, “Skyler just has to give you a quick shot, then you can sleep.” 

As soon as I feel the needle pull out of my arm, I am practically dead in Aaron’s arms as he carries me back home. 

I am in a graveyard. There some many faces all screaming, “Why couldn’t you save us, Anastasia?” 

I am running from someone. By this point, Ryan is the main antagonist in my nightmares. Like always his weapon is his silver dagger. 

I run for what seems like forever until I am tripped by a grave the reads, ‘Here lies Prince Aaron Mason’. I feel frozen. Even as Ryan’s dagger slices me up, I already died. Without Aaron, what else does this werewolf life hold for me? Nearly everyone I have ever loved has died! And why? Because of me. 

I am woken up by a soothing familiar voice, “Anastasia, please calm down, you are still recovering.” 

In the dark room, I can recall in my own bed room - I quickly realize I am in my own bed with Aaron. I can tell that I am shaking, but Aaron doesn’t complain. He gently rubs circles on my back and whispers comforting words to me. 

“A-aaron, is it... m-my fault they... d-d-died?” 

“No, Anastasia. Ryan’s actions were purely caused by his selfish desires and failure to listen to reason. He only knew you and decided to make you feel guilty. You can’t let him win, Anastasia. I know you are stronger than that,” He tells me. 

“But-” 

“You are the strongest person I know, after everything you witness and your wounds you were only out for a day. Most people could sleep for a week. Don’t doubt yourself, Anastasia.”

“Are we... holding a funeral for them?” 

“We were waiting for you to be awake,” He explains. “I also should let you know that you are now the queen of Wilonia.” 

“I’m not queen material-”

“Anastasia, don’t you listen? You are the perfect queen. You are the only girl I want to rule with me,” He presses his lips to mine, I barely respond. 

“I’ve been having nightmares,” I admit. “I’m scared.”

“Don’t worry,” His voice is like velvet now. “I’m right here. I will chase all the bad dreams away.” 

“Do you think they are mad that they died when I could have-”

“Anastasia, there was nothing that could have been done differently. We are safe now and they are in a better place. They will be watching us and I don’t think they want you to worry about what could have been done.” 

“I guess so...” 

He kisses my nose, “Now sleep, Anastasia. When you wake up we will place those cherry blossom flowers from the forest trees over their graves.”

I do as he commands and feel like things are going to be alright for once. I have him and Skyler and Makeena and Vincent to still support me. They are the best I could possibly ask for. Sure I will miss my parents, Anna, Charlie and Elena, but like Aaron said they are somewhere better. 

There was nothing that could have been done differently. The fates are a mystery I will never understand, but I hope my future adventures aren’t as much as a roller coaster as the last few months have been for me. 

The End

Sacrifice - Copyright 2012 

The Emmys Show

🎉 You've finished reading Sacrifice (Book 2 of 2 - Sequel to 'Arranged Marriage To The Werewolf Prince') 🎉