ix. nine

The Black Swan members formed a circle around the Neverseen, who all adopted fighting stances. 

Something felt off, but Sophie couldn't put her finger on it. Something about Linh, Marella, and Fitz being here. Something...

Oh. Gisela, Alvar, and Asher were supposed to be stopping the trio from raiding one of their low-security hideouts. The Neverseen had bugged Linh's Imparter and had apparently overheard a conversation about plans for a double mission. But... if Linh, Fitz, and Marella were here, then what had happened to Gisela, Alvar, and Asher?

Trix seemed to be thinking the same thing. He met Sophie's eyes, his eyebrow raised in question. Sophie shrugged.

Are we supposed to fight? Sophie transmitted to Ruy.

The fabric of his cloak swished as he took out a throwing star. Sophie took that as a yes. She transmitted go to Trix and Oman.

The Neverseen attacked.

The closest Black Swan member to her was Linh. Sophie leapt forward and tackled her, pinning her against the wall. Linh snapped her fingers, and water with an earthy scent gushed up and pushed Sophie back. She raised her arm to deflect it and reached for a throwing star with her free hand. She aimed for Linh the best she could with water in her eyes. The star snagged the corner of Linh's shirt, pinning her to the wall.

Linh glowered in frustration and tore herself free. "Hey! This was a perfectly good tunic!" 

Sophie tried to throw another, but a heavy weight crashed into her side and sent her flying. Her hood loosened when she landed, and when her gaze cleared, she found herself meeting the expression of a surprised Fitz leaning over her.

His bright teal eyes were the widest she'd ever seen them. Sophie rolled hers and tried to get up.

"Fitz, don't let her!" Dex's voice rose from behind them. He whirred a gadget at Sophie, and it knocked her down again. "Sorry, Soph. I hope you'll forgive me."

Sophie pushed against the ground, but Fitz jumped into motion and grabbed her arms. She struggled to her knees, but Fitz wouldn't let her go any farther. He twisted her arms behind her back in his strong grip. Sophie couldn't use her legs because the gadget Dex had thrown had sprung a wide, spiked net that planted itself into the ground.

With half of her body under it.

Sophie struggled for about two seconds before she realized that force wasn't going to get her out of his grip. She was just about to send a powerfully excruciating burst into his mind that she hoped would make him drop her arms a hold her head when a door at the far end of the cave flew open.

"Oh. Looks like we're running late," Lady Gisela said. Asher and Alvar stepped through right behind her.

Keefe and Fitz both glared at their evil family members. Gisela and Alvar ignored them.

"How did you get here?" Fitz barked. "Last we saw you, you were rotting away and taking your last breaths."

Alvar kept the same painted smile on his face.

"Nice of you to drop in," Mr. Forkle said.

Suddenly, Sophie understood. "You planned this. The whole thing was a setup."

It was almost as if her words had activated something in the cavern. A blue-tinted force field spread from where Dex's hand was against the wall and trapped everyone within.