xix. nineteen

The memories came back to Sophie in crashing waves of pain. They were so intense that she could barely concentrate, feeling as if she had been sucked into a black void where she couldn't hear anything, couldn't see anything, couldn't touch anything.

All she felt was agony. And heat.

Always the heat.

Sophie's lungs screamed for air, but nothing could get through.

Her senses were getting dimmer and dimmer, and she felt herself overheating, as if she had a fever. The void felt like it was on fire—an inferno. She didn't care anymore that she was at the mercy of the Black Swan, she didn't care that the only way to end this was by being impaled with a giant syringe full of questionable human medicine. 

Where was it?

The blistering heat seeped into her head, and she felt herself start to slip away. Her skin burned in tandem with her screaming lungs.

Suddenly, gold, searing light burst behind her skull, pushing away the sweltering flares. It started to disperse, but Sophie followed it, drawing it towards her. But when she touched it, it transformed into hot needles, pricking her over and over again until her body went numb. It rushed into her brain, throbbing as it swirled around and around. 

Sophie thrashed in an attempt to get away, to get up, higher...

Her consciousness pushed through the barrier. She landed in a hazy reality, were everything was blurred and muffled, but she didn't care. She sucked a breath in, her underexposed lungs shuddering, until she—

Choked on the air. It wouldn't make it past her throat, which started swelling up, blocking anything from coming through. Sophie jerked, her limbs convulsing. She started burning up again, but now that she was semi-conscious, the last words Gethen had said in the resurfaced memory reverberated throughout her head.

The Neverseen had manipulated her.

That was what she thought as she slowly slipped away again.

Welcome to the Neverseen, Miss Foster.

Sophie felt something stab her hand, and blackness seeped back into her vision, and the memory slowly undid itself. She tried to hold on, but she didn't have the energy to stop it.

Welcome to the Neverseen, Miss

Welcome to the

Welcome to

Welcome

Wel

W

...

Her body started to give out, and Sophie couldn't take it anymore. I'm sorry, she thought, but she wasn't sure who she was sorry to.

White, refreshing light swept through her head, and Sophie sank into it, letting it carry her away.

◦ ◦ ⊰⊱ ◦ ◦

Sophie's head throbbed. Her whole body throbbed, in fact, and she moaned.

Sophie slowly realized where she was, and snapped her eyes open. Her arms ached and shook when she tried to sit up, and the all she could do after she tried to move was hack repeatedly.

"Miss Foster." Mr. Forkle was standing off to her side, a needle in hand. It was empty. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've spent five years roasting in Exile and then was dragged up all of the steps by my hair," she grated out. The little effort the words took sent her into another coughing fit that made her chest and ribs hurt even more.