xlv. forty-five

"Get back," Sophie said to Keefe, shooting out of the chair. She reached down towards her thighs instinctively, feeling for knives.

Of course nothing was there. No matter. She could fight him with her hands if she needed to—the only problem would be his ability.

But she could improvise. She'd fought him once before at the Neverseen hideout.

"Get back!" She repeated, addressing everyone this time. "Stay away from him!"

When all she received from were strange, confused looks, she growled and pushed her way to Tam. Before he could even move, she had him pinned against the wall.

It was worse than she thought—he had everyone fooled.

"I don't know the Neverseen is having you do," Sophie hissed in his ear, "or why you're here. But I know that whatever it is, it's not good. You need to leave."

Sophie remembered the last time she'd seen Tam—it had been one of the only times her and Tam's paths had crossed at the hideout. The Neverseen had purposely kept them away from each other. She'd fought his shadow simulations in the training arena, and when it ended, they had talked. Tam had been surprised to see Sophie, and even more surprised to see how she acted at the time.

Why would the Neverseen have let him out?

Tam glared at her with cool eyes. "I don't know what you think you're talking about."

Sophie squeezed tighter, her teeth grinding. "Yes you do. They would never let you out without it being some kind of game! You're on their side!"

Tam's eyes widened imperceptibly, a tiny flinch. He shoved her away. Sophie was so surprised by the outburst of strength that she stumbled back, her grip loosened.

Sophie's eyes blurred over, her hands shaking. Sudden fear and frustration flooded her mind, overtaking everything. Could the Neverseen not leave her alone for a solid twenty-four hours? What were they planning with Tam? She started shaking so hard it hurt. Why couldn't anything be easy?

"Tam, Tam, stop!" Linh's voice cried. Through her blurry vision, she saw the Hydrokinetic pull her brother away from Sophie. "You're hurting her!"

Suddenly, Sophie's mind snapped back, as sharp and painful as a rubber band snapping. Although her limbs stopped shaking, they went numb, and her knees wobbled. A pair of arms reached out to steady her, squeezing tight. Keefe.

Only once Sophie's hand started to throb did she realize that shadowflux had been leaking out of Tam's hands. It triggered her echo, messing with her mind. She pinched her eyes shut, trying to tamp down the monster. No, no, go away.

"I . . . I'm so sorry," Tam stammered, staring down at his hands with wide eyes. "I'm sorry," he repeated, looking up to meet Sophie's eyes. "I don't know what happened."

"Yes you do," Sophie rasped, trying to pull away from Keefe—unsuccessfully. "The Neverseen must have done something to your ability. The probably messed with you too, didn't they? I should've known." This time when she struggled, Keefe let her go. She stumbled forward, trying not to keel over from the wave of nausea that hit her.

She fixed Tam with another glare. "When did you even get back? A week ago? Two? It couldn't have been that long. I just saw you."

Linh stepped in front of her brother, crossing her arms in front of her. "What are you talking about, Sophie? Tam's been back for almost a year."

"That's impossible!" Sophie shouted, trembling. Why wouldn't they believe her? Tam had been right there with her in the hideout! She'd seen him!