29 leaving

something you might not know is that hoppo and i are actually really close. i've become a little more distant from deano as he's now focused on his family and his health. he's become a part time lifeguard so he doesn't work with us all the time but we still get to see him which is great. but hoppo, we've become close. mainly because of his daughters. i've been hanging out with his eldest daughter, Lauren a lot and she is so lovely. she's studying and working in retail so she doesn't have a lot of free time. but when she does we catch up every so often which has lead to me having a stronger relationship with her family and hoppo.

so walking in to hoppos office to talk to him about a serious work matter is a little unusual because i'm not sure how to act 'professionally' around him. oh well, here goes nothing. taking a seat across from him, he asks me what's up.

"um i just wanted to let you know that i will be taking  a break from lifeguarding" i day and that catches his attention as his eyes grow wider. "serious?" he says and i nod. "it just um - my mental health has been getting really really bad. just from all the incidents on the beach, it's really taking a toll on me. harrisons noticed how i've been coping and he suggested taking a break and i just think it's the best thing to do right now" i say and he sits there nodding, taking in all this information. "elyse, i'm so sorry to hear that. but i'm glad you're taking action. you're right about taking a break, that's the best thing you can do. it is a demanding job so i'm glad you've spoken up about you're mental health and are taking action" he says and i smile. "you know that if you ever need someone to talk to i will always be here. so will grace. we are here to help you if you need anything okay?" he says and i nod. "thank you, i really appreciate that" i say and he smiles. for the next ten minutes he just tells me the procedure of leaving and how everything works and it seems pretty easy.

before i head off he just wants a quick word with me. "this isn't related to anything but i think of you as one of my own daughter el. you're remind me of lauren a lot. the way you approach different situations and the way you act. i feel like here i have a responsibility for you so i've always looked out for you, even if you haven't noticed" he says and i smile, getting taken by surprise. i really don't know what to say. "that's really nice of you hop. you're someone i can really trust around here. and no offence but you're a good older figure to look up to around here. i mean yeah i have mum and dad but i see the a couple of times a year. i see you every week and that really makes me feel like i have someone" i say.

after our little talk i feel like both of us really connected to each other even more. "do you want to come for dinner tonight?" he asks me after our talk. "oh, well i don't see why not. that sounds lovely" i say and we make a plan. "oh and one last thing" he says before we leave for the tower. "harrison - he's special. make sure you keep him close to you. he knows how to treat you right that boy. i've seen the way he looks at you and how he treats you" he says and winks at me. "thanks hop. he's special to me, i hope i never lose him" "i'm sure you won't. i have a good feeling about him " he says and we both walk out of his office and up to the tower.

a lot more guys have flocked to the tower now. it's mid afternoon and it looks like a bit of a lul for the boys. harrison and jesse are still up here but joining them is jethro, reidy, harries and mouse. as i come into sight, they are all surprised to see me. "el, i didn't know you were coming in today" jethro says and i chuckle. "it cause she has some news" hoppo says to everyone. "you're pregnant?!" jesse exclaims. "no!" i exclaim back and we all laugh. "i'm taking a break from lifeguarding" i say and i think they all have the same reactions. they're all really shocked but at the same time i briefly tell them why and they're all supportive of why i'm leaving.

that went much better than expected.