38 away

the next morning i wake up and harrison isn't beside me. i'm pretty sure he wasn't working today. i check the time and see that it's 9am. i hop up and walk into the lounge and he's not there. hmmm. i wander to the kitchen and he's not there either but i spot a box of flowers that wasn't there earlier. i walk over to them and i see they're sitting next to two cards. one that's from harrison and ones from hoppo. i open hoppos one first and this is what it reads:

elyse,

harrison told me what happened yesterday before he left to come see you in hospital and i just wanted to take some time out to write you this.

i'm so sorry to hear about what has happened. i couldn't wait to meet the child you were bringing into this world and blessing. he or she would have been welcome into all of our lives and treated like one of our own little lifeguards. i can't imagine how hard it is for you and harrison at this time. i hope someday in the near future you two decide to have kids again because they would be a blessing to our small community here.

you are the strongest person i know. you overcome any challenges that come your way with pride and strength and come back bouncing. your determination and persistence makes you work harder and achieve more than you could ever imagine. you are so loved in this world and by everyone in this lifeguard community and i just want to let you know how much we value you here apart of our team.

i hope you will call by and visit in the coming weeks, whenever you're ready. remember that i'm here whenever you need someone to talk to or if you need help. don't feel like you're fighting this feeling alone. we're all here to help you and harrison.

love you and i wish you all the best

hoppo xo

as i read that tears form in my eyes and i cry. that letter was the sweetest thing i have ever read in my life. i put it down and open harrison's one. it reads:

ellie, i'm sorry i'm not there with you today. i'm writing this as i have breakfast as i don't have a lot of time until i leave. i really really want to be with you right now but i had to rush off with dean to go and pick up some lifeguarding gear. i'm sorry this is so sudden - i got a call this morning. and they desperately needed someone. hoppo called around this morning as you can probably tell and dropped these flowers off and a note. he told me that if you need anything to call him and he'll come around or you can go see him. he's on with maxi today and the weather is shit so it'll be a quiet day. i should be back around about 7pm and we can spend the next week together.

i love you forever and always. stay strong, i'll see you later

harrison xox

after reading that i understand where he is. i put the flowers in some water and go get dressed. as i'm getting dressed i decide to go grab some breakfast then go to the tower and hang out with the boys for a bit. i chuck in some plaid pants and a cropped long sleeve shirt and jump in the car. i head to my favourite cafe just around the corner and get a takeaway bacon egg lettuce and avo bun.

i rush to the tower and make it inside just before the rain starts pouring down. both maxi and hoppo are happy to see me. as it's cold and rainy, no one is on the beach today. as i eat my bun i tell maxi what happened with the baby. "elyse, i'm so sorry to hear that. you and harrison were both so excited" he says and i agree. "i'm sure there will be another one shortly" i says and they laugh. "i sure hope so" hoppo says and i laugh. i spend most of the day in the tower with them. the temperature starts plummeting and soon enough it reaches 13°. "is there a spare jacket somewhere?" i ask and hoppo jumps right into my case. "here" he says and passes me his one that's hanging on the back of his chair. "thanks" is say and chuck it on. it instantly warms me through and i bring my legs up to my chest. "i don't wanna leave, i can't be bothered" i say and hoppo laughs.

eventually i leaves and arrive home then realise i'm still wearing hoppos jacket. ughhh. i call him up and tell him and he tells me to bring it in whenever i have a chance. that night i spend it watching tv and cuddling up on the couch with a blanket. it's 9pm and harrison's still not back so i text him and ask. he doesn't reply so i take a long shower then pamper my face with some nice moisturisers. i chuck on my shorts and bralette - my usual sleeping attire and hop into bed. it's now 10:32 and harrison still hasn't texted me so i send on last text to him.

'i hope you're safe. see you soon x'

after sending it i put my phone on charge and drift off to sleep.

i wake up suddenly to the bed sipping down on the other side. i boot up and turn over to see harrison. "you're home" i whisper and pull him into a hug. "i'm sorry" he says and hugs me back. "go back to sleep love" he says and kisses the top of my head. not knowing what time it is, i fall back asleep in harrisons arms.