Starstruck Chapter 11. Reason

Chapter 11. Reason

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay sweetie?” mom asked with a frown on her face. I nodded to her and swallowed painfully. “Yeah mom don’t worry about me. This is just a silly cold. After I rest for a day, it will be gone like the wind.”

She grabbed the comforter and settled it near my chin. “I can always cancel Dulce.”

I shook my head and stopped immediately. The whole room spun. I shouldn’t have done that. “You can’t cancel on work mom. You told me that this is an important client right? They’ll think you’re bailing on them or something. I’ll be fine while you’re in New York.” I gave a reassuring smile.

She sighed. “I can’t believe you got sick right before I’m leaving for the week. Can’t Patty or Tim take care of you? I hate leaving you like this. You don’t usually get sick but when you do, you turn into a crybaby.” She sat on the bed and placed her palm on my forehead.

“Patty is sick too,” I said. “And Tim had an emergency to take care of. I’m a big girl mom I can handle it.” I fought the urge to cough so she wouldn’t get worried. Well more worried than she already was.

She removed her hand from my forehead and nodded. “I’ll ask the neighbor to check on you from time to time.” She stood up. “Call me if there’s anything you need at all. I mean it Dulce.”

“Yes mom,” I croaked. “Have fun in New York. Spot a cute one for me,” I added.

She gave me a stare. “I doubt anyone is cuter than Glace honey.” I blushed but she didn’t notice since I was already red from fever. She glanced at her watch. “I need to go now if I want to catch my flight. Don’t forget to drink medicine and water.” She pointed her head to the direction of the door. “There’s money on the kitchen table. Just order Chinese food when you’re hungry.”

“Go,” I said impatiently. “Your flight won’t wait for you. I’ll handle myself.”

She nodded and kissed my cheek before turning around and leaving my room. After a couple of minutes, I heard the front door below slam shut. The cough I’ve been holding finally broke free and I swallowed painfully when it subsided.

What rotten luck, I thought. I caught a cold and had to be absent from school. Aside from the fact that I wouldn’t be able to see Glace, I felt really awful. Emphasis on the word awful. My head hurts, I was running a fever, and God knows how ugly I look right now. I haven’t taken a bath this morning since I couldn’t get out of the bed. Yay me!

I raised my hand and tried to search for my iPod without glancing at the bedside table where it was located. When my hands felt its smooth glass, I grabbed it and settled the earphones in my ear. Skylar Grey sang one of my favorite songs called Invisible and I let its calming rhythm lull me to sleep.

I was awoken by something or someone prying the earphones from me. “Nooooo,” I said groggily. The person didn’t listen and took the iPod and headphones. I felt that someone sit on the bed and place a soft hand against my forehead.

I drifted back to sleep and didn’t mind the presence of the intruder. My body was so fatigued and sick to even think about defending myself. I didn’t know how much time have passed but after a while, a cold wet thing brushed on my forehead. My hands automatically went to it and I detected a soft cloth settled there.

My eyes fluttered open and Glace stared back at me. I smiled widely at her not minding my sore throat and current state. “You’re so pretty Glace. Can I keep you?”

She gave me a look that said I was crazy and walked out of the room. I shook my head in annoyance. I was so sick that I imagined her here. How pathetic was I? She came back after a few minutes and this time she was holding a bowl. She placed the bowl on my bedside table before she turned to me and helped me up.