Starstruck Chapter 13. The Chase

Chapter 13. The Chase

The months passed by quickly. We were smacked dab in the middle of November and things are beginning to look up in the love department. At least that holds true for Tim. As for me and Patty, we were still single and nowhere near our goals of triumphing in the relationships we sought out. Speaking of Patty, she asked us for a little bonding sesh in one of our favorite burger joints.

I watched Tim’s lean, muscular form as he headed for our booth in the corner- fries, burgers, and drinks in his tray. He placed the food in front of me and I began to spread the fries and smear ketchup all over it. What can I say? Sharing is caring.

Like an unspoken agreement, Tim and I faced Patty at the same time. The blue-eyed girl cringed when she saw our questioning look. “Okay Patts,” Tim said. “Spill.”

I dipped my fries in ketchup and silently observed Patty as she looked at the table in discomfort. She didn’t usually ask for meetings like this. Tim was always the one who did that for us. I wonder what was wrong. “Are you even going to speak?” Tim questioned.

“Zip it Tim,” I said and touched Patty’s arm. “Tell us the truth. Are you pregnant?”

Tim choked on the fries he ate and stared at me with wide eyes, or as open as his chinky eyes could go. “Way to beat around the bush cutie.” I shrugged and concentrated on Patty. “Well?”

“Don’t be silly Dulce,” she said. “I’m a virgin.” Tim reached out for his burger. “You look like it too,” he mumbled. I kicked his shin under the table.

“Then what’s the problem Patty?” I gave her an encouraging smile. She sighed and said, “I think I’m in love.”

Tim took a bite from his burger and chewed slowly. “How is that a problem,” he mumbled. Patty grabbed her can of soda and took a sip. “I haven’t seen the other person.”

“Are you having imaginary friends again?” Tim mocked while rolling his eyes. Patty glared at him. “No Timmy,” she said with a sour tone. “That was years ago when we were 8 or something. Quit bringing that up.” She sighed and added, “I met the person online and we haven’t exchanged pictures yet.”

I leaned back on my chair while Tim spoke. “How can you be in love with him or her if you haven’t seen him before? For all you know, this person can be as ugly as the bride of Chucky or has a body odor.” I laughed at Tim. Body odor? Where did that come from?

“Oh shut up you,” Patty said while covering her face. “I haven’t seen her before but we did exchange emails.” I caught the word HER in the sentence. So Patty was bisexual all along. I thought she was straight. Oh well. Welcome to the club.

“Where exactly did you meet this mystery person?” I asked.

Patty’s blue eyes peeked from behind her hands. “There’s this platform in the net where you can share your fictional stories. She was an author there and I messaged her because I loved her book so much. She seemed so sweet so we exchanged email address. We’ve been talking ever since.”

Tim placed his burger on the table. “Girl that’s dangerous.” I nodded in agreement. “How sure are you that she is a she?”

Patty shrugged. “She called me. I heard her voice.” I popped fries in my mouth. “You heard her but you’ve never seen her. Seriously Patty. . . This girl is as shady as heck. Why didn’t you exchange pictures or asked for her Instagram?” I said.

“She said she couldn’t,” Patty said glumly.

“She couldn’t because she’s ugleeeeeh!” Tim said out loud. I gave him a dirty stare and turned to Patty. “While I don’t think that this person you’re in love with is ugly, I do agree that it’s dangerous to be,” I searched for the right term, “enamored by someone you haven’t seen before. But who knows? Lots of people succeed in online dating.”