Prologue

Key
e/c = eye colour
Y/N = your name
L/N = last name
s/c = skin colour
h/c = hair colour
h/cd = hair condition (i.e. curly, straight)
h/l = hair length
f/c = favourite colour
f/f = favourite flower
status: unedited

The building next to Lana's house had been under construction for months. The perpetual hammering and sawing was really getting on her nerves.

Apparently some old billionaire guy was supposed to be moving in. Although it didn't really look like a home, it looked more like a mansion.

One fine summer day, the house was finally completed and fully furnished. Peeping through her blinds, Lana saw an old man wearing a monocle stride into the house confidently.

She guessed that was her new neighbour. She kept a close lookout for anything strange over the first few months of his arrival, (no, she wasn't being a nosy parker; she was simple looking out for her neighbour!) but nobody ever seemed to enter nor exit the house. That in itself was suspicious, but the fact that the house was always as quiet as a mouse caused a chill to run up and down her spine each time she glanced at it.

One particular day in 1989, Lana had an especially painful headache. It felt like thousands of tiny hammers banging in her head. She remembered making a cup of tea and settling herself comfortably on her faded green armchair.

The next thing she knew, there was blood everywhere. Red all around her. She screamed hysterically before grabbing her handphone and calling 911. After informing them of her plight, she collapsed on the floor and noticed the strangely bloated state of her stomach.

Lana had no time to ponder it as a terrible contraction ripped through her. A screech of pain was audible just as the ambulance arrived at her home.

After several horrible hours of falling in and out of consciousness, Lana was informed at the hospital that she had given birth to a healthy baby girl.

Lana was shellshocked. "But I wasn't pregnant... ," her voice trailed off. "What was that, ma'am?", asked the doctor. She gave him a bright smile and replied "Oh, nothing. Just excited is all. May I hold her?"

The baby was brought to her and placed gently in her arms. The baby cooed, looking up at Lana with wide (e/c) eyes. Her hair colour could not be defined yet as she had nothing but a tuft of fuzz on her minuscule head.

"I think I'll name you Y/N L/N," Lana murmured. She deigned not to share her last name as she knew the baby did not fully belong to her. The last name given to the baby was some random name she recalled from a magazine.

Later, while watching the news on television from her hospital bed, she saw that 43 other women from around the world had given birth under the same circumstances as her. Lana was the 44th female nobody knew about.

As the program continued, it was said that an eccentric wealthy man was adopting 7 of them. A quick photo of him was shown an Lana gasped as she recognised him as her neighbour, Sir Reginald Hargreeves.

When she returned home after a week, she realised the next door house had undergone some upgrades. Multiple umbrella motifs were now visible throughout the architecture of the building.

She slipped quietly into her own house, nursing the sleeping baby. Lana sighed with joy as she looked at her baby, her gorgeous eyes shut in sleep, her adorable pale pink lips and her smooth s/c skin.

It was a few days later that Lana learned the troubles and difficulty of raising a baby.