Chapter 13: "Like What You're Seeing, Doll?"

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪

Key
f/f - favourite flavor
f/c - favourite colour
a/t - any topping

Eventually, all the cameramen, journalists and inquisitive people dispersed, so we can finally make our way home. My cheeks ache from smiling so much.

A sleek black limousine pulls up outside the bank, and I'm certain all the kids' jaws drop. Reginald simply waves a hand at the chaffeur, who opens the door for us.

We hop in excitedly and scan the interior. It looks so posh and fancy - like something straight out of a magazine. Mr Hargreeves clears his throat and we all rush to sit down.

I take my place next to Five, who sends me a secret little smile. I wink at him. Reginald wraps his fingers around the head of his cane and gazes out the window.

Luther breaks the silence. "Dad, how did we do on our first mission?" There's a slight bit of nervous excitement in his voice, as I know he craves acceptance from Mr Hargreeves.

The billionaire's steely gray eyes stare at each of us in turn before finally saying "It was adequate, at best." I roll my eyes, Luther slumps in his seat, Five groans and everyone just shows their disappointment in their own ways.

I hold my breath, hoping he isn't going to start listing our faults. The eccentric old man raises a finger as if to begin speaking but quickly puts it down and continues looking out the window.

The journey back to the Umbrella Academy is silent; not even punctuated by whispers between ourselves. Reginald's harsh judgement has dampened all our moods.

We were riding on the car of success and happiness, but he was the stop sign.

After what seems like an eternity of tense silence, we pull up outside the Academy. In a ramrod straight line, we march out of the car. However, Reginald does not get out.

We look at him questioningly and he says "Students, I shall be going for an important conference on the cerebral development of an ape in Tibet. I shall return after a week or two. In the meantime, you will all continue your training as per usual. I shall expect no complaints from Pogo nor Grace."

Without saying goodbye, Mr Hargreeves shuts the car door in our faces and the vehicle drives off. The seven of us glance at each other.

What do we do now? As if to answer our question, the Academy door creaks open. Pogo and Grace stand there to welcome us. I give each of them a warm smile in turn.