chapter 3

I was interrupted by a sound coming from my bedroom again. My hands started to shake, someone was in the house. Keeping one hand on the wall to keep my balance, I slowly walked down the hallway and into the kitchen. The silence was deafening. The room looked untouched, nothing was gone and nothing was moved. The feeling of being watched was gone, but I still needed to check the rest of the house. Just in case, I decided to grab a weapon. I quickly slipped my hand towards where the knives were and my hand gripped the cold metal that was once again in my hands.

My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking as I walked down the hallway into the bedroom. I held onto the knife in my hand with all my might, I thought I would drop it because I was shaking so much. I quickly moved into the bedroom before I changed my mind. I turned, looked around and quietly laughed to myself.

I honestly think I'm going crazy, no one is inside, at least anyone I can see. I would have heard the door open. My hand loosened its grip around the metal and I put it on top of a cabinet and started to turn around when suddenly a hand covered my mouth. I tried to scream but the person just held on tighter.

I felt someone breathe on my neck, causing me to shiver, "Honey, I thought I told you to stop running away from me. I think you can tell it's not working. I won't hurt Ryan, but only if you listen to me."

My heart was beating so fast, I swear it felt like it was going to stop beating. No words would come out of my mouth, I was completely frozen.

"Now listen to me, sweetheart," I cringed at the old nickname, "We are, whether you like it or not, going to be together. So leaving Ryan is going to be your first step."

He continued, "I'm going to take my hand off your mouth now, don't scream. It's not like it's going to help anyway."

He released his hand and I was going to try to scream. But I couldn't get anything out, I was frozen in fear. But I realized that he was right anyway, no one would hear me and it wouldn't matter if they did. Alex would just take me away.

"How did you get in my house?" I said in a whisper, my voice cracking, still in shock.

"Now that, my dear, is a secret," I cringed when I felt his breath on my neck again, "Now if you leave Ryan today, no one will get hurt. If you don't leave him, then well. Let's just say that he won't be an issue to us anymore."

"What are you going to do to him?"

He smiled and I felt his hands wrap around my waist, "If you don't leave him, well," He chuckled to himself, "you will just have to wait and see."

"What do you want from me?" I turned to face him, feeling his grip loosen on me.

His blue eyes had a glimmer of playfulness, it was just a game to him. That's all it ever was.

"I want you. I think I have made that pretty clear."

"If I leave Ryan, will you leave him alone?"

"I will never lay my hands on him if you leave him."

I didn't want to leave Ryan. It just seemed that this was the only way for him to be safe. I've already messed up enough in my life; Ryan didn't need to be punished for everything I have done wrong.

"I will do it," I said.

"Okay, I'll be back tomorrow at 4 in the afternoon if you do it. Trust me I will know. If you don't do it, I won't even bother stopping by." He said smiling like he just knew he had me in his grip now.

He squeezed my hand and then he left, just like that. He was gone, but he would be back. Just like always, he never left for good. After I had yelled at him when he pushed me, he came to my door with roses and begged for my forgiveness.

It was pouring rain outside. I smiled and continued to write in my journal. Everything was better now. I had left Alex and he couldn't hurt me anymore, no one could hurt me anymore. Suddenly I heard the doorbell ring and I put my pen down and started towards the front door.

Alex stood in the doorway with a bouquet of roses in his hands, "Raine, I'm so sorry for pushing you. I just got so mad. I couldn't control it. You have to help me, please. I need help controlling this. I didn't want you to leave me. I'm sorry, Raine. Please take me back, I can't live without you."

"You pushed me down, Alex!" I said raising my voice, high enough to where the empty hallway of the hotel was ringing my words. I just wanted to go home, back to my real home. But I wasn't even sure where that was now, I didn't know where anything was.

"I told you I was sorry, I know you'll probably just come crawling back to me like you always do." He said clearly getting a lot angrier at me, "And you could be a little quieter, you wouldn't want people to think you're abusing me."

"Oh, yeah, Alex I'm the abusive one," I said with so much spite that he got even more ticked off.

"Furthermore am I the one who decided it was necessary to push the love of my life down the stairs causing her to lose her memory? No. Am I the one who thought it was okay to lose my parents number and not be able to contact them because I can't find them? No."

"It wasn't my fault you fell down the stairs."

"Alex, you know I love you... I know you have a problem. I wish I could help you. But you know I can't live like this anymore." I started crying.

He instantly put his arms around me and brushed my hair out of my face, "Raine, you know I love you so much. I could never give up on you, as you can't give up on me. Promise me that, promise me you won't give up on me."

I just nodded my head.

I probably should have left him there. I should have just left completely. But no instead, I had to think I could help him and I was really just stuck. I didn't know where my parents were, I didn't know what my last name was. Alex had all that information. He kept it from me. He was my only tie to the real world, without him, I would have been homeless. He told me I had done something bad, something that would put me in jail for life. I didn't have any memories to back it up. I let him try to protect me. But I knew I had done something bad because when Alex told me, I felt my memories rise.

I tried to think of what I was going to tell Ryan, I could tell him the truth and tell him what happened. I could spill everything.

I pounded my fist against the wall and started to cry, slowing sliding down to the ground. This wasn't fair. Why me? Why did Alex choose me to torment?

I looked at the clock and saw Ryan was going to be here soon. I had to pull myself together. I heard someone put the key into the front door and turn it.

The door slowly opened and Ryan grinned at me, "Guess who got a job?"

I smiled, "I'm so happy for you."

He frowned, "I know when you're upset, what's going on?"

"Look, Ryan, we need to talk."

"What do we need to talk about?" He frowned again.

"I- I-"I suddenly felt weak and then blacked out