chapter 5

The porch steps creaked as I walked up to them. Typical, of course, he would cheat on me with a blonde hair, blue-eyed girl. That's always how it went. I got closer towards her and I saw her eyes open in worry.

"Raine," She started, "are you okay? You look like you've been crying."

I walked up to her, so close to her that I made sure she saw all the pain written across my face.

Then, I raised my hand and slapped her.

I woke up screaming, I hated reliving that memory. It was one memory that I wish I could just throw away. It changed everything in my life; of course, I enjoyed what happened. But it just doesn't help me at all now.

I then realized that Alex was right next to me; I probably scared him half to death, "Raine! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it was just a nightmare," I said, still breathing heavily and crying.

He slipped his arms around me, "Are you sure? You're crying?"

"I said I was fine Alex. Leave me alone," I pushed his arms away.

"Why do you do this? Every single time something is wrong, you just push me away. We are together now. You are going to tell me what's wrong. You are going to tell me everything."

"No. I don't need to tell you anything."

He sighed calming himself down for the first time ever, "Fine. Just, whatever, I don't care."

I slowly started to calm down and I got closer to him; still upset about the dream. He wrapped his arms around me and this time I didn't push them away. I just wanted to feel like someone cared; I didn't actually like the fact his arms were around me. But, I quickly fell asleep to the sound of breathing and heartbeats.

I woke up to the sound of Alex singing, I didn't know he sang? I smiled and listened more. He sang really well; I got out of bed and went to find him. I found him in the kitchen with his headphones plugged in. He quickly stopped singing and took out his headphones when he saw me.

"I didn't know you were up." He said startled.

I smiled, "Yes, I'm up. I didn't know you could sing?"

"Oh, I didn't really think I could."

"Well, that was amazing."

He smiled at my compliment, "Thank you and about last night, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get ticked off at you. I just really wanted to know what was wrong. I'm also sorry for making you leave Ryan, I just want what's best for you. Right now I'm the best for you."

My heart dropped when he said Ryan's name, "It's okay, Alex."

I started to pick up some of the dishes I had out, the apartment was such a mess. It stressed me out when things weren't cleaned up.

Alex grabbed my hands, "Its fine. I got it, I'll clean it all up."

"No, it's fine. I would rather do it myself," I said, moving his hands away from mine.

"I'm going to clean and you aren't going to do anything about it."

I just said, "And how exactly do you plan to do this?"

He just smiled and reached his hand down towards my waist. I started to giggle furiously when he started to tickle me.

He stopped for a second when I started to cry because I was laughing so hard, "Give up yet?"

I tried to catch my breath, "Yes, yes fine. You win. Now let me up.

"No," He smiled, and he started to tickle me more. I giggled to the point of more tears pouring out of my eyes.

"Now, really," I gasped, "Alex, get off."

I quickly pushed him off of me and thought of something, "So now that that's over, can I ask you something?"

"Sure." He said.

"I know this is like really random. But now that we are together," I cringed at the word together, even though I seemed to be enjoying myself, "What evidence do you have against me with what happened with Lindsey?"

He looked at me confused, "Against you?"

I felt my stomach drop at the confused look he was giving me, "What do you mean?"

"It was Alexa wasn't it?"

I cringed at the name of my old best friend; I had set it up to make it look like she did it. It was a horrible thing, I know, but I had to. Then I left, I never saw her again after that night. But I really had thought that Alex figured that out; the fact that I killed her and not Alexa.

I saw the blue in his eyes turn to fire, "You killed her, didn't you. It wasn't Alexa; you set it up to make it look like it was Alexa. Really it was you that killed her. You were jealous, and you wanted her to hurt as it hurt you when I left you for her twice. Then when I came back you wanted to get her out of the picture. So you killed her."

He started to shake with anger, I covered my face and closed my eyes. I knew what was coming. I stood there for a while and then looked back towards him. He wasn't there anymore. He had left.

I sat down and tried to calm down. Why couldn't I have just kept my mouth shut? I thought he had evidence against me, not Alexa. I tried to calm myself down. Deep breaths, I thought to myself. If I stay with him, there is no way he would take it to the police. He wouldn't do that to me. I suddenly heard a noise in the kitchen, it sounded like broken glass.

I slowly walked into the kitchen and saw Alex throwing plates on the ground.

"What are you doing?!" I asked him, trying to stay calm as I possibly could.

"I'm throwing plates on the ground so I won't hurt you," His blue eyes melted into mine with a mix of guilt and pain.

I quickly looked away and started to walk out. I thought it was kind of sweet that he would be doing that, but I quickly pushed those feelings away. I wasn't going to fall for him that way. Not while he was throwing plates to push the urge away to hit me.

Then he walked in front of me, "Raine, please. I will forget you ever said that you killed her. Please, I don't want you to be with me and feel forced to. I just want you to be happy with me. I will give up everything for you."

I thought about it, he was being honest, "I don't know..."

I saw his eyes tremble with anger again and then went back to normal all to fast. I stood there, confused and dazed. He controlled his anger; he had never been able to do that before. I still tried to hold back the urge to be nice to him; I couldn't. I just couldn't do that after what he had done to me.

He smiled, "As long as you have an answer sometime everything will be fine."

The way he said it sent chills up my spine and I tried to smile, "Well, I'll have an answer for you soon."

He started to talk but was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell go off. I slowly walked over to the door anticipating who it was; it could always be Ryan. Alex watched me as if I was going to run out as fast as I could when the door opened, but at this point, I really didn't care. I turned the lock and opened the door.