chapter 7

"What kind of sick person would do that?"

I started to vent out my feelings to him, "I mean seriously, you went too far this time. Why did you even do that? What was your reason?"

He let me finish venting, all while he just looked at me like I was crazy, I continued, "And also, I have every right to just drop everything and leave you right now. But I can't, or I would. I just want you to know that I'm not with you by choice. I'm with you because you're crazy. "

His lips started to move and then he paused for a split second, "Raine, look, I'm sorry."

I raised my voice up higher, letting my anger consume me, "That is all you have to say to me? You ruined my life."

He stood up and walked towards me, his eyes were burning into mine, "You're just going to have to deal with it, Raine. You already know I can ruin your life even more. You know you're stuck."

My palms started to sweat and I turned around avoiding his eyes, "No, I'm not going to deal with this anymore."

I quickly planned out in my head what I was going to do while Alex tried to figure it out, "Raine, what are you doing? If you're trying to run away, it's not going to work."

I pushed him out of my way and ran towards my closet. I quickly threw my hand on top of the drawers, pushing everything out of my way. The feel of it touched my hand and then my hand pushed the box open. I let my fingers trace the cool metal of it and then I picked it up. While putting my fingers on the trigger I held my breath. It was all going to end now, everything was going to be okay. Ryan would be okay, Alex will leave me alone, I won't ever be bothered again. Footsteps, they were getting closer and closer. Too close, I had to hurry. My pulse started to beat faster as I pulled the trigger; click. The gun was empty.

Just as I was about to go chew out Alex again, I heard the doorbell ring and I heard a voice, "Raine? Are you in here? Can we talk?"

I threw the gun back into the box and ran to the front door, but was stopped when Alex got there first. I looked past Alex, and there was Ryan. His black hair was sticking out randomly in places, it looked like he just came back from running.

Alex started to talk, "Ryan, she doesn't want to see you right now."

I pushed Alex out of the doorway forcefully, he wasn't getting in my way right now.

Alex just walked into the kitchen, I thought he would have tried to stop me. Evidently, he's in his I don't really care about anything right now mood.

"Ryan," My face fell, it was him. The one guy that I knew I wanted to be with, but I couldn't. I almost frowned at that thought, I would never be able to be with him with Alex still in the picture.

He smiled a warm but urgent smile, "Can we talk somewhere more private?"

I was about to tell him yes when Alex pushed me out of the way, "The only place you two are going to talk is here. I will allow you two to talk, but I must be involved. You aren't going anywhere else, she's mine, not yours, Ryan."

I tried to push Alex back out of the way, but he wouldn't budge.

"Alex, fine we will just talk in here. Could you move now? So I can let him in?"

Alex rolled his eyes and opened the door only but an inch more than it was before, then suddenly his eyes opened wide as if he was having some kind of spasm, he quickly ran out of the room.

Ryan looked surprised, "Wow, I'm surprised he left. You can't get any privacy, can you?"

"Yeah, I really can't. He's probably still listening right now anyway," I said, hoping he would know to leave out anything that Alex could hear.

Ryan nodded in agreement, so I continued, "so why did you come back?"

"I thought he killed you. When I hadn't heard from you in a while, I started to worry a lot. Every day I would worry more, finally, I just had to come over myself. I needed to see if you were okay, despite you not wanting to see me."

I lowered my voice down to a whisper, "Why didn't you come earlier? I needed help then."

"I'm sorry Raine. I just thought you were choosing him over me."

"Are you kidding me? I'm not an idiot. I was forced to do that. You didn't see that?" I said, knowing in any minute that Alex would come in here and take me away from Ryan.

"No. I just thought that you still had feelings for him."

"Ryan, no. He just has control over me and I can't really avoid it," I said.

"I'm sorry Raine."

I sighed, "so I'm guessing you're not staying, right?

He looked down, "You know I can't Raine. It's not my problem and from what I've heard I really don't want to mess with him, I don't want you to get hurt."

I tried to stay calm, "Oh it's fine. I understand," my only way of getting help was about to leave me by myself, "Well, is that all you needed?"

"Raine, you're mad. Why are you mad? I care about your safety, but I cannot do anything right now," his voice lowered at the end of his sentence and I knew to go along.

"I'm not mad at you, I'm just mad in general. Look, you probably should just leave, it was a mistake for you to come." I said in the most honest tone I could use.

I just wanted him to stay with me, stay with me forever. Alex would be gone and it would just be Ryan and I. But that can't happen, it would hurt Ryan if he stayed. I was wondering what his right now meant though, I was hoping he had some kind of plan.

He sighed, "Okay. I'll leave. Just call me if you need anything, Raine. I will be here for you."

He walked out of the door and out of my life for now. I felt the tears coming, but I quickly stopped them noticing that Alex was approaching me. He had been on the phone and I heard him murmur words I couldn't understand and then he hung up.

He showed his crooked little smile and sat down next to me. I cringed when he grabbed my hand, but let him hold it.

"Now I heard the whole conversation and I think you said some things wrong. You told him too much. You weren't forced to be with me, you chose that. Don't deny it, Raine, you know that you chose me. You told him way too much and I can't hurt you for that. You needed someone to talk to about this, I completely understand. But I don't think you need him anymore. He's a... problem, that needs to be resolved."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

He just smirked and it hit me.

"What? Are you crazy? Alex? No... No.." I started towards the door, but I was too slow. Alex got to it first and pushed me away towards a wall, I hit it and fell on the ground holding my throbbing elbow.

"Alex you can't kill him," I yelled at him, lying motionless and hurt on the floor.

I cringed at the sound of gunshots from outside.

He smirked as if on cue, "too late."