chapter 14

I sighed and deleted my call log, getting back into bed once again. The wind was howling even louder than before, causing a tree branch to continuously tap on the window. I pulled the blanket up over my head to try and block out the sound of the wind.

I woke up in the morning to the sound of quiet mumbling in the kitchen; I decided to eavesdrop again.

"... She's going to try and leave Lindsey. I might as well just go with her." I heard Ryan say in a rushed voice.

"I don't think she will try. She knows what he is capable of, I don't think she's that stupid." Lindsey said.

Ryan groaned, "He's tricking her Lindsey. He has to be, he probably doesn't even have Alexa. He's lying to get her back. I don't want to think she'd fall for that, but it's him."

"Look, Ryan, Raine can leave if she wants to. So if she does, I guess we will just follow her. Or try to follow her. We both have a pretty good guess of where Alexa is."

"You're right. If she wants to leave she can, we can't stop her. But we can and we will follow her."

I heard someone get out of a chair and I went back into my room quickly, I didn't want him to know I had heard the conversation. I got back in bed just as I heard someone walking up the stairs.

He knocked on the door, "Raine? Can I come in?"

I mumbled a yes, pretending like I had just woken up and he walked in. He stared at me for a few moments and then he shook his head.

"I'm sorry for getting mad at you last night. If you want to go get Alexa, you may go."

"I'm glad I have your permission," I mumbled sarcastically.

He groaned, "I'm trying not to get mad at you Raine, but when you act like this it's hard not to. You need to understand that I just care, I want you to be okay."

I rolled my eyes, "Act like what? I'm right, you don't have to be so stubborn and not take me to go get Alexa when you know that I owe her."

"I just said that you could go."

"I know. But it bothered me that you were yelling at me about this last night, you don't really understand how important this is to me," I said, "I'm going and I'm going alone. You won't follow me. Now get out."

He groaned and walked out of the room knowing he had just been defeated. I pulled out my phone and checked it, nothing new. I just wanted to get out of here, I needed to save Alexa.

The rest of the week went by too slowly, I still hadn't gotten any sign from Alex that he was almost here. Apparently either he wasn't coming or the warehouse was further away then I thought. Ryan was starting to think that I had forgotten about the whole thing and was in a much happier mood.

I sat down in the window seat for about the fifth time today, I was so bored. Ryan and Lindsey were both gone; Ryan went to go find somewhere to get more food and Lindsey had left for a week to go see her brother. I picked up my phone again and suddenly it started ringing. I answered it without hesitation, assuming it was Ryan.

"I noticed that Lindsey and Ryan aren't there. I'm at the house right now, get your stuff and get outside," He sounded really out of breath.

I quickly hung up and threw my stuff into a bag. I grabbed the phone and threw it into the bag too. I walked down the stairs and turned towards the front door. I heard a creak on the stairs, but I ignored it and opened the front door. Suddenly I was pulled back and the front door was shut.

"Don't think I didn't hear you on the phone with him Raine. I heard you, you aren't leaving with him, I'm not letting him take you again," I heard Ryan say behind me.

I bit down on his hand as hard as I could and he quickly released his grip on me, screaming out in pain. I ran towards the front door, grabbing my bag on the way and shut the front door on him. I ran towards the end of the driveway and saw a black car pull up towards me. As it got closer I heard Ryan run towards me screaming, I opened the door and quickly threw my stuff into the car.

The car quickly sped off as I shut the door. I turned over towards the driver and gasped, Alex looked horrible. His hair was usually perfect, every strand fell down straight and in the right spot. But it now looked as if he hadn't brushed it in weeks.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He snapped.

"You don't look so good."

"Thanks," He mumbled sarcastically.

I turned around and watched the house fade away slowly. Ryan was out of sight and hopefully it would stay that way, I needed him to stay away. I didn't want him to have anything to do with me anymore; I would fix everything and start over new, and no one would get hurt this time.

I woke up a few hours later as we pulled into my apartment parking lot.

"I thought we were getting Alexa?"

Alex smirked, "Just trust me, Raine."

We walked up to the familiar steps to my apartment and he unlocked it with the key he had in his pocket. He opened the door and guided me into the room, it was completely dark. I turned on the light and instantly the room lit up. I walked around and looked for where Alexa could be.

"Alexa, where are you?" I said in a loud voice.

No answer, it just felt like I was talking to myself. I heard the door close and Alex walked in.

"So you probably want an explanation, don't you?" Alex asked me. 

I turned around towards him, "Yeah, you better have a good one."

"Alexa left to get away from her dad, I never kidnapped her."

Instantly I was filled with anger, he lied to me to get me to come back to him. I should have known. Why did I think that he actually kidnapped Alexa? Ryan was right. I have made a horrible mistake.

"Raine, talk to me. I'm sorry. I just really wanted you to come back. I was really lonely without you."

"You lied to get me to come back," I yelled at him.

"Calm down darling. It was all for a good cause, Ryan's not good enough for you."

I couldn't speak, my mind was racing and I felt a mixture of anger and stupidity.

He sighed, "can't you see how bad I want you to be with me? I planned all this out. You know how long it took me to plan everything perfectly? It took me a long time, Raine."

"I don't care if it took you all of your life to plan out this. You're crazy. I'm done with this and with you. You can't bring me back this time, you can't bring me back ever," I said walking towards the front door.

I pulled the door open and walked out into the hallway. Surprisingly, Alex didn't follow me until I had gotten completely outside and halfway up the nearly empty street.

"Raine," he called, "You can't live without me and you will soon realize this."

I just kept walking and he continued, "I'll find you and that's a promise. I'll always have you, Alexis."

I heard him curse under his breath and I turned back to face him, "What did you just say?"

"I said Raine."

"No. Why did you just call me Alexis? Tell me the truth."

"You just look a lot like her. I just got confused for a second."

Everything was running through my head so fast, the note, the dream about the hospital, old memories that never made sense. Then it clicked, it was all perfectly clear to me. In every second that I stood there, it made more and more sense.

"I'm not Raine, am I?" I asked him, lowering my voice.