Chapter 20

Derek looked at the house, smiling, his mother had repainted it. It was no longer a dark gray; it was now white. A little much for their family, but Derek liked it. Before Derek could even move from where he was standing next to Scott, the front door of the house was thrown open, and his family stood to look at him like he was a ghost. To him, they almost felt like ghosts, so he wasn't shocked. "He's home!" Derek's older sister Laura shouted, running to her brother hugging him. Derek grinned, holding his sister.

"I've missed you so much," Derek whispered. He could feel the tears pouring down his face. He was pulled into many hugs, but when it came to his mother, Derek fell into her arms sobbing. "I thought you were all dead. I was so lost. I missed you so much."

"It's okay, Derek, we're all here now. It's all going to be okay." His mother said, holding him tightly.

"What happened? How did you make it out?" He asked, looking at everyone.

"I told all of you kids to run. I wasn't going to have any of you hurt. I managed to fight off the pack finally getting most of them to stand down before running myself. We all made it out. Your sisters didn't make it very far, somehow found me. We looked for you for three weeks before coming home to regroup. We've looked everywhere for you, Derek." His mother explained tears in her eyes. Her son was finally home.

"I watched you get attacked, and I just ran. You told me to run, and I did. I ended up in Washington for a while. I got lost so many times; I don't know why I couldn't find my way home." Derek ran a hand through his hair, trying to pull himself together.

"Scott, how did you find him?" Talia asked the beta.

"That's an amusing story." Scott chuckled.

"I've, uh, I was hiding out as my wolf in his best friends cabin. Today is the first time I've been human since the attack. I've been too scared to change back." Derek said, feeling ashamed of himself.

"Stiles?" Cora asked, looking between her older brother and pack mate.

"Yeah, it gets better." Scott laughed.

"What about Stiles exactly?" Talia was slowly starting to figure out what was going on.

"I, well Stiles thinks I'm a wolf, I got shot by some stupid 13 year-olds, and he pulled the bullet out of my leg. I wasn't healing because I had been a wolf for so long, so I stayed accepting his help. I also stayed because..." Derek wasn't sure how to finish this. He still wasn't sure what to do about Stiles.

"He's your mate. That's one mystery solved." Talia laughed; finally, she knew more about the wolf boy.

"Yes. But, I ran off the other night. I ran into a local pack who were trying to take me out; they believe that I'm the only Hale alive. They ripped me open, that was when Scott figured out who I was. I wasn't healing because I hadn't shifted in so long. We came back to Beacon Hills because Scott told me that you were alive, Scott lied to Stiles saying that I possibly wasn't going to make it if we didn't come back. Now we're here." Derek looked away from his family, feeling ashamed.

"Derek, honey it's going to be okay. You'll figure it out, and I know you will. But you need to find a way to tell Stiles as soon as you can. They're a lot about him that we still don't know, him knowing about you will make all of it easier." Talia told her son setting a hand on his shoulder. She was worried for him; he was lying to his mate because he was scared. She understands why he did it, he needed help, and Stiles did that. But now the boy needs to know. Stiles has been through so much with all of the rumors and nicknames; he needs to know what happened to him and why.

"I have to try something, then I'll tell him. I'll tell him everything that he wants to know. If he never wants to see me after that, I'll understand, but I have to try something." Derek says, looking to his mother. She smiled, knowing what her son was planning on doing. It was a bit of a risk, but she knew he could do it.

"Come meet some of the new members; you probably have some time before Deaton and Scott should be done with you." Laura smiled, pulling her brother along behind her. "Your room is still the same; mom wouldn't let anyone touch it. But here are the new betas, this is Issac he's a little timid but powerful, Boyd doesn't talk much, Erica well you get to see for yourself, and you've already met Scott, so that's everyone."

Derek gave weak smiles to all of the betas; he wasn't ready to meet the people who replaced him when he was gone. He didn't want them to think he was weak; he knew they heard what was being said outside. Derek didn't give the betas time to speak when his face dropped, remembering something he needed to tell his mother.

Derek tore out of Laura's grip running back out of the door to find Talia talking with Scott. "Did you tell her?" Derek asked, looking to Scott.

"He just finished filling me in." Talia sighed, running a hand through her dark brown hair. "We're going to have to get the pack ready. If they know that you're alive, if you were in their territory, they might follow you here. They probably think that you have my Alpha power and you're just hiding it."

"So do I. The betas were terrified of me. I just had to growl, and they would back down, the alpha seemed a little scared of that. How am I able to make a beta back down when I'm just a beta myself?" Derek looked to his mother, who was weakly smiling at him.

"That's something that we will worry about at another time. Right now you need to get back to your mate." Talia smiled at her son. She didn't need to worrying about anything but Stiles right now. Derek has already been through enough; he doesn't need to worry about a possible war at the moment.

"But I need to help you train the betas, that's my job." Derek fought.

"It might be, but your sisters can work on that until you figure out your Stiles situation." Talia flashed her red eyes to her son, who sighed backing down. She smiled, pushing back to Scott. "Get him out of here and make sure he stays with Stiles. He's going to need him tonight." This was Derek's best chance at telling Stiles who he was.