Chapter 27

"The day you were born I went to see you and your mother in the hospital, you were a very quiet baby for only being a few hours old, my children screamed until the second we left the hospital. The second I saw you, I knew that you were special Stiles. Something, I won't call it a gut feeling because I know better, it was more of my primal instincts. I knew that you were special, not only to my family but to the world.

I was never sure what it was, though. As the next few months went by, and I spent more time with you, the more time you spent with my family, I slowly figured it out. You were meant to be the mate of one of my children, but it wasn't only that, you have this, almost like a power."

"Power? What do you mean by power?" Stiles interrupted; he didn't care about the mating part; he had a feeling he could put those pieces together relatively easy on his own.

"Those wolves at the sanctuary, they never once hurt you. You could feed them raw meat from your hair, and they would take it ever so carefully being sure not to hurt you. You could have laid out on the ground covered in blood, and they would have never hurt you. They acted like pups when you were around." Talia gave the boy a questioning look making sure she was getting all of the facts right. Stiles responded with a weak nod, not meeting her gaze.

"Stiles, you're what my kind calls a Shepherd."

"Like the dog? Or a sheep shepherd?" Stiles gave Talia a look as she had finally lost it. He hardly knew the woman, but the tone of her voice, the way she said it, he thought she belonged in Eichen House or something.

"I guess like a sheep shepherd." Talia sighed, giving Stiles a look asking if he was going to take this seriously.

"Dr. Deaton, you know him, he is what my kind call an emissary. He helps us when needed, and he guilds us when we need guidance. Emissary's and Shepherds work together to care for a pack. A Shepherd rounds the pack together, making sure that if something happens, everyone comes home. Shepherds care for the pack; they protect anything that needs protecting. That is why those wolves at the sanctuary never wanted to hurt you, you were going to take care of them, and they were going to do the same for you."

"So what you're telling me is that I'm supernatural, but at the same time I'm not," Stiles questioned.

"Is that a trick question?" Talia asked. The boy talked as though he was a sly fox or something. Her mind raced, seeing if it was possible that she was utterly wrong about Stiles. There was no supernatural history in his family; it's scarce to be born super-natural when there is no history. Being born a Shepherd is different, that comes typically in time, once the person is around its pack enough, it will show itself.

"No?" Stiles was started to lose focus, and he could feel is ADHD kicking into hyperdrive right now.

"What would you like to know now? I can go into as much detail as I can about Shepherd's, but you're best off talking with Deaton about them." Talia says hearing the front door of the house open. The pack was back from their run. She gave a slight growl; they were told not to come back until told.

"Who did it?" Stiles asked, looking down at his hands once again. "Who did it, and why? What was honestly so important about me that they well attacked me." He looked up at her with pain in his eyes.

"Mom!" Derek burst through the door before Talia was able to begin answering Stiles newest question.

"Derek, you were told not to return until I said," Talia warned.

"There's another pack in town. Causing trouble all over, Sheriff Stilinski needs help with them before they cause too much of a scene." Laura stepped through the door past her brother with a stern look on her face.

"Then take care of it. Laura if you're going to run this pack-"

"They want to talk with you," Derek cut his mother off looking to Stiles with worried eyes. "And Stiles." Stiles felt all feeling in his body vanish at Derek's words. What would a pack of werewolves want with him? He didn't even know they existed until two weeks ago.