23

I pull into my driveway and I expect Jason to just keep driving past to go home. However instead he also pulls into my driveway right behind me. I park my car and get out. He's also getting out.

I throw my arms out to motion outwards, "alright man, I'm home. You can head to yours now."

He shakes his head, " I'm walking you into your house. I'm making sure you parents know that you're home."

I roll my eyes and groan." Jason"

"Dustin, I leave right now you're going to get right back in that car and head north for all I know. Change your name and start a new life all to get away from this." He say throwing his arms around in the air.

I'm about to say something but he shakes his head and points towards the front door. I've got no choice. It's late yet the lights are on in the house. My parents are still up.

I open the door taking a deep breath. I have no idea what waits for me. An angry set of parents or ones that couldn't care less. Jason follows me in fully closing the door behind me. I walk into the kitchen where my parents are sat. My mothers eyes are red, my father looks exhausted. You would think that I'd been missing for months.

"Oh Dustin," my mother says shallow voice and tone. She wraps her arms around me hugging me tightly. Then she hits me slightly in the chest. "Don't ever to that to me again."

"Im sorry mom" I say. I didn't even think of my parents, how they would feel with him going MIA for six hours.

My dad stands and also and hugs us both. "Thanks for making sure he came home Jason"

"No problem Mr.Fox" I hear him say then steps leading to the door followed by the door opening and closing.

My parents back away and stare at me.
"Son, why would you do this to your mother and I?" All I do is shrug.

"No Dustin, a shrug is not the answer I'm looking for." My father says beginning to get angry, his face firing into a light shade of red. "You wanted us to get closer, bond, get a better relationship. A shrug is not going to do it."

"Honey." My mother glares at him. I slip into a seat at the island putting my head in my hands. I can't help my eyes starting to fill with tears. I feel her hand start to rub my back. "Dustin, do you want to talk about it?" She asks.

I shake my head, knowing that my father would get mad at that response I speak. "Not right now."

"Alright," she starts. "Go upstairs get some sleep. We can talk later okay?" I nod my head to agree.

"Promise you won't runaway again?" My father asks, when I look up his face has returned to its natural colour. "Don't run away from whatever you're trying to get away from, let me help you though it." He says.

I nod, once again aware that it would not be enough, "I promise." I state. Then stand to head to my room.

I collapse onto my bed. God this sucks. How in one measly night, could I mess up all I've worked for. My relationship with my parents. Hadley. Everything. No doubt that Jessica will be pissed at me, meaning even if he doesn't want to Eric is gonna have to act at least a little mad. What a horrible situation I've manage to create for myself this time.
Turn into my side and come face to face with Gizmo.

"Hey Gizmo, you won't get mad at me right?" Gizmo just lays her head down and curls getting ready to sleep. I pet her head a few times and bop her on the nose. "I thought so.."

I close my eyes and fall asleep to the gentle purring of gizmo beside me.

        *

I wake up once again to Gizmo meowing in my ear.

"Morning Gizmo." I pet her and scratch the top of her head.

She walks away and hops off the bed. I sit up, grabbing my phone off the side table, luckily it's plugged in, I don't know how it ended up plugged in. I turn it on and low and behold not one message from Hadley. I've got a few from my parents from last night, Jason, and warning from Eric about Jessica and a very angry series of texts from Jessica.

I run my hand through my hair. I wish I could just hide out here in my room for the rest of my life. I don't want to face anyone. I can't handle this, however I think Jason and my dad are right, I can't keep running from things. I finally bring myself to go face my parents.

When I turn into the kitchen my father is reading the paper, as my mother is working on her laptop.

"Hey." I say to both of them. I sit down and my mom pokes me a cup of coffee.

"Morning Dustin," my mom says as she turns to put the pot of coffee back.

"You ready to talk about last night?" My father likes to get right to business, always has.

"Honey, let him talk when he wants to talk." My mother scolds him. As much as I enjoy the support from her.

"If we do that he'll never talk about it." After my father stops speaking there is a long silence between us all.

I finally clear my throat. "Listen I'll talk just not yet okay, I need to think and...." my words carry away with the air.

"Dustin, you've got to talk to us, believe it or not we can help you here." My mother says trying to convince me to spill. I just can't talk about it.

"I know.. I'm gonna head out." They look at me worried, I roll my eyes. "Don't worry I'll come back, I'm just gonna head over to Jason's for a bit." I stand up after downing the coffee.

"Dustin..." I let my parents words fall behind me as I head out the door. I was not going to Jason's he would also want me to talk.

I know I shouldn't go to the beach, however today I just want to sulk for a little bit, throw myself a pity party. I head off to the beach.

I park my car in an empty spot, put on my sunglasses and brace myself for the sadness I'm about to endure.

The beach doesn't have that many people on it, it's a little colder so the beach isn't exactly the ideal location for the weekend getaway. I slump myself onto the cold grainy sand. This is where it all started, well technically I guess it all started when I practically ran her over. But this is where a we started. Ugh this absolutely sucks. I can't deal with this. Unfortunately I have to face Jason, Eric, jessica and most importantly Hadley on Monday. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, I'm going to have to face the three for sure. Hadley on the other hand, it might just be better to ignore her, at least I think that what would be best for us. She said as much when she left.

After sitting for another two hours I finally decide to go home, I think it might be time to face the facts. I've never had parents that wanted to help me through an issue before and I don't know how to handle that. Now that my parents are willing to try and willing to help me, the lest I can do for them is allow them in.