Chapter 23; I love you

I just wanted to say that I wrote ahead for the next few parts as I do have exams from the 14th of May until the 22nd so I'm not sure how much I'll write then. I kind of don't want to fail and I've procrastinated a lot as it is lol. Either way, if for some reason to point out an error or a plot hole that I don't change immediately, it's because of that. At this point though, I really don't care for them. My mental health had been absolutely shit and I can't see the point of torturing myself for 4 years in uni after my A levels. I want writing to be my career, ya know? Any poo, I wasn't gonna post this today but this chapter is under 2k. We're actually nearing the end of the book if you can believe it. Around 10 more chapters at most and it'll be done. Keeping in mind that most of my chapters are around 5k words long ;) Enjoy.

* * *

As soon as Alice opened her eyes, she barely had enough time to register her surroundings before she vomited the remains of her stomach onto the ground. Colden was by her side in an instance muttering words of reassurance that her ears didn't quite register. Alice felt the prickling stares of others around them as Bona took a step back took take in her appearance. It was then that she felt it; the darkness polling around her and latching onto every negative feeling inside of her. There was a roar somewhere in the distance and tribe became quiet, hushed as if they were afraid to move.

Alice pushed herself away from her mate's arms, her feet unsteady as she stood. She couldn't bring herself to meet their eyes knowing what they would see; the monster that her father had created. Knowing the truth was painful, more so than she had imagined. How was she supposed to tell this to Colden and his pack? How was she supposed to face them when they were made to fight beings like her? 

A half demon. The thought was nauseating.

Colden gripped her wrist before she could leave. Alice caught his wide eyes, shrugging out of his touch. She needed to get out of there. Somewhere where no one would watch her as she crumbled. Her chest felt constricted as she made her way through the crowd, ignoring Tya's knowing eyes. Had they known all along? Was that why Tya and Bona had acted the way they did? And the beasts- what would they do now? Alice gazed into the distance, noting the fluttering of the leaves and the quiet thumping that echoed through the ground.

Her feet took her to the very edge of the tribe where a small creek was, wedged between the large fence that separated the jungle from the wolves. Her reflection was startling; black eyes with equally dark veins that marred her cheeks. Her skin took on an unnaturally pale tone but it was the aura around her that made her terrifying; dark and wild like static, untamable and dangerous. Alice felt sick to her stomach. 

The sobs started the moment she collapsed onto the ground. They shook her body until she could do nothing but let them pass. The realisation that her papa had known all along what she was, what she would become, was like a stab to the chest. And the fact that he had rejected her as she grew was a truth that her mind couldn't bare. He made her like this and yet he couldn't have dealt with his consequences. Perhaps if he had warned her, taught her...Alice shook the thoughts out of her mind and curled up into herself, shielding her tear-stained face from the light wind.

Alice knew now what she needed to do. She had known for a while, at least since the diner, that Lucien would need to die and she would be the one to do it. But it was the way that she'd have to go about it that made it hard to breathe. Colden would be heartbroken and there's nothing that she could do except hope that when the time came, he would understand.

To let him mark her and then to leave would be an utter betrayal. Especially after everything he and his pack had sacrificed. But there was no way around it. Hades had made that clear.