❥ Chapter 58

enjoy!

I'm woken up by a piercing scream erupting through the house. I sit up, nudging a sleeping Issac next to me. "What is it?" He turns over, rubbing his eyes.

"Did you not hear that?" I look down at him, feeling my hair sweep against my back. What time is it? I reach over, the brightness of my phone screen glows over my face. I squint my eyes, "No, what is it?" He sits up, more alert now.

I thought he was supposed to be a light sleeper? "A scream, someone screamed" I mumble, taking my turn to rub my own eyes. It's early morning, it's slowly growing lighter outside. "Ellie" He quickly get to his feet, ripping on some clothes before shooting out the door.

I hold back the temptation to roll my eyes. Ellie is now moved in, everyone thought it was best, apart from me and Amelia but we got outvoted. I sigh, her dad is now moving into a flat meaning he can quit one of his jobs and hopefully relax a little bit.

The past month has consisted of helping him move and put all Ellie's mothers things into storage. I'm glad he'll be able to relax but Ellie living with Issac is as problematic as I always assumed, she calls Issac's help for absolutely everything. Sometimes I think it's just to annoy me but I like to think better of her.

I have to get used to it, she's going to be here until she can afford her own place which won't be for a while yet since she can't work with a newborn. This time I do roll my eyes but I shake it off, lifting myself up to see what the commotion is about.   

I see Issac on the stairs, I frown my eyebrows and quicken my pace. "Is everything okay?" Sam runs out of her room, "Ellie's waters have broke!" Issac shouts, informing the whole street. I gulp. "I'll get the bags" I scurry back off to Issac's boyish blue room.

I check the time again, seven forty-five exactly. I quickly slip some clothes on and throw my hair up then make my way to Ellie's room and pick up her hospital bag. She's packed and unpacked this bag so many times. "C'mon, I'll drive" John looks alarmed.

I follow after him, meeting everyone downstairs. "We'll all have to cram into my car" John mutters making sure he's got everything. We head outside into the cold morning breeze, I hug Issac's hoodie closer to me. "Ellie in the front" Sam opens the door for her.

Ellie looks scared which matches everyone else's expression. Unlike me, I've been preparing myself for months and now that it's actually here I feel so overwhelmed. Sam, Issac and me shovel into the back, the hospital bag lying on my knees.

I feel a sweaty palm grip mine and realise Issac has taken my hand. I look up at him, he looks as pale as a sheet of paper. Beads of sweat gather on his forehead and he sounds like he's just run a marathon. I reassuringly squeeze his hand and give him a quick peck on the lips.

I hear Ellie contacting her midwife, her voice is shaky and panicked. I watch out the window, the sun is breaking light behind the trees. We're close to the hospital now.

When the car park comes into sight we find a space pretty quick and help Ellie out the car, her belly makes everything a struggle for her. "Over here" Sam points towards the maternity building. "Okay" Ellie nods a bit breathless, me and Issac follow behind.

"How are you feeling?" I look up at Issac, his face is drained of any colour. "I'm okay, this is scary and very sudden" He gulps. "Sudden?" I laugh lightly, he breaks a smile too. "You know what I mean, even though she's nine months pregnant I didn't expect her waters to break today" He becomes embarrassed. I know what he means.

"It'll be okay, they'll both be okay" I kiss the back of his hand as the wind flows through my loose strands of hair. When we get into the building it all happens very fast, they assess Ellie and monitor her. She looks scared and small lying in the hospital bed.