A Coward's Melee - Island

Chapter 14 - Island

Abaddon’s POV

“Want some more coffee hun?” I pull my gaze up from my mug and stare at the elderly lady questionably before it finally registers.

“No thank you.” I tell her softly, feeling the act of speaking foreign.

“Well you go ahead and tell me if you need anything k hun.” She say smiling before walking away to tend to other customers.  Sighing I looked out the big glass windows into the darkening sky. I suddenly find myself envious of the sun, the thing that humanity itself relied on to live; it’s always wanted.

I shake my head put some money down on the table before exiting the dinner. I was wearing a simple loose shirt and some sweats that I managed to snag from someone’s backyard along with some sandals which are a bit weird for this type of weather but beggars can’t be choosers. As for the money, some unfortunate folk is gonna go home and find 20 dollars missing if they even notice. I walked down the unknown street in a trance. All the thoughts I’d been running from kept trying to all come out at once. Deciding to distract myself, yet again, I went on a hunt for a store in search of a small bag for these clothes; don’t very much like the idea of wearing drooled on clothes after shifting back. I went into the first store I found and grabbed the cheapest bag there was that would fit my stuff. I slipped by bag’s strap across my chest as I made my way out once again, trying to distract myself. I made my way over to a more ‘tree-populated’ area before sitting down. If I’m correct, today should be Friday so that would make it a week that I’ve been gone.

“What am I doing…” I mumbled to myself as the thoughts continued to plague my mind. I had been running for a week now, pushing myself to my limit to try and ignore these thoughts. The one day I decide to shift back it all came running back.

Broken and unwanted…

I don’t know why I couldn’t just drop it like I have in the past. When my own flesh and blood rejected me, when I had to struggle to stay alive at such a young age; I could still clearly remember the lonely nights and the pointless fights I had been through in hopes of finding somewhere to belong.

“I never really did belong eh.” I say, laughing sadly to myself, “Guess you got that one wrong didn’t you.” I say looking up. The only one who had stood by me, who gave me my name, was pulled from me before I could understand much of anything. I still remember what she told me when I asked her about my name…

Flashback

She was sitting on her chair as usual when I came home from school, “Grandma!” I yell happily as I run up to her, hugging her.

“Grandma? Why this lady is too young to be a grandma.” She says, smiling down at me, “Hello little one, how was school?” she asks me as she motions me to pull a chair up.

After dragging a chair with my little arms closer and sitting down I began to tell her about my day, “I got picked on again today.” I tell her honestly. That was the thing between me and grandma; she was the only one I can openly talk to about anything unlike my parents.

“Was it for the same thing?” she asks me, giving me her full attention. I nod my head, “And what did you do about it?” she asks me.

“I punched them till they left running like babies.” I tell her, smiling like an idiot. She started laughing, making me laugh in return. It felt nice talking to her; she never scolded me but instead gently pushed towards different options and simply told me there are other ways to solve a problem.

“My granddaughter is such a scraper isn’t she? Just like grandma use to be.” she says patting my leg, “But I wouldn’t let their teasing bother you too much little one. When you react like that you are actually just letting them get the best of you, letting them win. You’re better than that.” She says softly.