{ 3 }

*Remember to vote, comment and follow me if you'd like! (:*

I glanced over at my aunt, stunned at what I just heard.

"It wasn't suicide, Riah. Your mother was murdered." He pointed to the necklace, "And that ruby is the reason why."

"What the hell was that?" I asked, my tone harsh.

She shook her head, sighing. "Your father has been driving himself crazy after your mom passed, trying to find answers when the real answer was in front of him the whole time. The first year she was gone, I bought into his lunatic stories and actually followed a couple of leads about that necklace." She gestured towards it around my neck.

"But like I said, it led nowhere and I gave it up." she shrugged. "I never mentioned it to you because you were so young at the time, I didn't want to scar your already difficult childhood." Her face dropped. "And I didn't want your father to just pop into your life then leave again, so I kept that a secret too. After the first year, I lost touch with him and he hasn't contacted me since. He must have figured out about France from my face book page. I am so sorry Riah." She met my gaze, a tear streaming down her cheek.

I shook my head, ashamed at my anger I felt towards her just a moment ago. "Don't be sorry. You were just protecting my innocence. I wouldn't have wanted to know about this as a child anyway. But I'm happy I know now, because now I know my father is crazy along with being a dead beat." I spoke as I pulled out another cigarette.

After taking a few drags, my aunt made a motion towards it. I raised my eyebrow, confused.

"Can I get a drag of that honey? Your father sure knows how to give me a headache." I shrugged as I handed it towards her and strolled back to the front step to sit down.
       After she sat down by my side, she softened her shirt out and chuckled lowly.

"I don't know what made him think he could just show up here after all these years, but that was beyond stupid even for him." I nodded in agreement.

"I just want to get to France and forget that all of this happened for awhile." I admitted as she handed me my cigarette.

"Yeah, I bet." She said in a huff.

I sat there twirling the hem of my dress between my fingers, not knowing what to say. I took a deep breath and put the cigarette out on the step before standing up.

"I'm gonna go in the back before everyone notices I'm gone." She nodded, standing up to follow me back to the crowd.

I immediately found Cassy standing by the food, alone and on her phone. She barely glanced up as she spoke. "Everything okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah, peachy. How's the food?"

She finally looked up at me with wide eyes. "Oh my gosh, amazing. Here, try this fruit salad." She lifted a fork with a strawberry slice glazed in sugar up to my mouth. As I bit the fruit, the sweet taste explored my tongue and I groaned in satisfaction.

"Holy shit that is really good." I agreed. She grinned, eyes still wide. I snickered at her goofy facial expressions while she ate off her plate filled with food. She's always had such a big appetite, yet she manages to stay the same perfect weight.

"That actually looks like a really good idea." I admitted, grabbing a paper plate to fill it with food.

"So, David isn't coming is he?" Cassy asked, looking at me with curious eyes.

I shook my head, "No, me and my aunt both agreed I don't need the extra stress on my last day. I miss my best friend but shits a little awkward right now. I did see him last night though."