{ 4 }

I stood in the doorway, peering into my bare room. Smiling, I grabbed the last bag and threw it over my shoulder as I made my way to the front door. I slowly scanned the house, taking in the vibrant colors and unique décor. I held my breath, afraid I might disturb the eerie silence of the home I grew up in.

"You coming?" My aunt interrupted my thoughts.

I turned to see her leaning against the car with her arms crossed.

"Yeah, sorry. Should I lock the doors?" I asked while I stepped outside, shutting the door behind me.

She nodded. "Yes please, I don't know how long we'll be gone."

After turning the key in the lock and double checking if the door would open, I rushed to the trunk and threw the bag in. Slamming the trunk shut, I took one more look at the little house, then hopped into the passenger seat next to my aunt.

"Seatbelts, guys!" Alyssa squeaked behind us. I turned to look at her freckled face sitting behind her mom, swinging her legs happily. I smiled while I buckled in, my aunt doing the same.

"Can you put the airport location into the GPS Riah? I don't remember exactly where to go." She said as she pulled out of the driveway.

Typing it into the large screen GPS in between us, I got a twinge in my stomach as I let the excitement set in. I watched the neighborhood pass by through the window, resting my head on the back of the seat. I'm not very excited for the flight, though. I've never really been comfortable with planes. I've only been in one twice before. The flight definitely won't be my favorite part about this trip. Shit, that'll probably be the sweet French men I'll be meeting. I chuckled quietly, sneaking a peek at my aunt. A small smile was plastered on her face.

"What are you so happy about, hmm?" I asked her teasingly.

"Oh nothing." she tried hiding the smile, but failed.

"If I knew you'd be this happy to get rid of me, I would have left a long time ago." I joked.

She rolled her eyes and huffed. "No, Riah. It's not that." She stopped, trying to decide if she'll tell me or not. "You remember that guy I was talking to a couple of weeks ago?"

I perked up. "I do remember. What about him has you all happy?"

"Well, we have a date tomorrow." she said, whispering the word date so Alyssa couldn't hear her.

I widened my eyes. "Auntie! Really? Oh do you like him?" I replied, winking back at her as she peered at me through narrowed eyes. I smiled innocently.

"I do, a lot actually. He's a nice guy, and he's super cute." She sounded like an excited school girl.

"I'm so happy for you." I said truthfully.

"Thank you hun."

"Ri, can you turn up the radio?" Alyssa chimed in.

I nodded my head as I turned the volume up a little louder. We listened to the country station the rest of the drive, me and my aunt occasionally joking back and forth.

It wasn't too long of a drive, so we got to town in time to grab something to eat before going to the airport. All three of us sat at a table by a window after ordering our food. I silently promised myself this is the day I end my unhealthy Arby's obsession, but I know I'll break eventually. The Beef n' Cheddar classic is just too good to resist.

I gave Alyssa a silly look, causing her to explode into a fit of laughter. "Ri stop you look so funny!" She giggled harder. Once she calmed down, I stuck my tongue out, exposing my tongue ring.

Her eyes lit up, "Woah how'd you do that?!" She asked in amazement.

"It's a piercing." I stuck it out again.

She reached out to touch it when my aunt intervened.

"Don't be giving her any ideas now, Riah." She grinned as she spoke.

My aunt does not like my piercings, most of them I got without her permission. I was a little punk growing up.

    I smiled back at her, throwing my hands up. "I didn't try, I promise."

Once I looked up at the registers, our food was placed on the counter so I slowly got up and grabbed the tray. Sitting down, I handed Alyssa her food as my aunt grabbed her own. I excitedly opened my sandwich and dived in.

"This is good!" Alyssa said with wide eyes, mouth full of food.

   "Lyssa, honey. Chew your food before you speak." My aunt groaned, causing Alyssa to blush a little and nod.

After we finished eating, I threw our trash away and walked out of the fast food restaurant with the girls behind me. Once we got in the car and buckled up, my aunt pulled out of the parking lot.

My stomach flipped instantly at the sight of the airport. '8 hour flight, you'll be ok.' I silently reminded myself, slowly breathing in and out.

"Finally, that took forever." My aunt huffed after finding a parking spot in the horrid ramp.

Getting out of the car, I made my way to the trunk and waited for my aunt to open it. I raised my brow at her as she shut her door. Confusion crossed her face, realization soon after.

"Oh, right." she said, opening her door and popping the trunk so I could grab my bags. After locking the car, she walked up and started helping me grab my things.

"This is a lot of luggage, Ri. You sure you aren't moving?" she spoke as she gave me a quick wink and shut the trunk.

I shook my head, grinning while we walked to the elevator doors and waited.

In the elevator, Alyssa started jumping around and staring up at the top, admiring her face in the reflective material. I chuckled at her goofy attitude and grabbed her hand once the doors opened.

"Do you know where to go?" My aunt asked, stopping to look at a sign.

"I already checked in online so I just need to get my luggage checked." I said, walking towards a lady at the counter ahead of us.

After the lady confirmed I was okay to proceed to the metal detectors, my aunt turned to me and gave me a huge hug.

"I guess this is it, for now." She said, tears glossing her eyes.

I gave her a sweet smile and kissed her cheek. "I'll call when I get to my hotel, I promise."

Then I bent down and swooped Alyssa up into my arms, kissing her face and making her laugh loudly. I set her down and looked into her eyes.

"I'm going to miss you." I said, booping her nose.

"I miss you already." she said, hugging me once more.

"I'll be home before you know it, I love you both. Oh, and Auntie." She raised her eyebrow. "Good luck on your date tomorrow."

After finishing our goodbyes, I shuffled to security and waited in line. Once it was my turn to put my things in a bin and go through the metal detectors, I complied smoothly and could finally find my boarding gate.

I found a seat, sat down and sorted through my things a second time, making sure I had everything together.

I'm surprised I got through as easy as I did, and I'm relieved I actually woke up early enough to get here on time. After awhile of waiting, my group was called, and before I knew it, I was sitting down looking out the window at the runway ahead of us. My stomach was in knots, I couldn't help but dread the next few hours of my life.

               *** *I AM SO SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER****