1960's - 6

Aggressive banging on his door followed by his father yelling at his brothers banging on doors is what pulled him out of his deep thoughts

Aggressive banging on his door followed by his father yelling at his brothers banging on doors is what pulled him out of his deep thoughts. "Hurry up princess! We don't have all night!" Alex yelled from the other side of the door. Theo checked his hair once more in the mirror before opening his door and walking out into the living room. Theo just wore his best slacks with whatever button up had the less wrinkles and his old church shoes, not that he went to church much anymore these days unless Kathy invited him.

Kathy...

Thinking about her hurts...a lot. They haven't spoken in two weeks but to Theo, it felt way longer than that. Seeing her in the hallways, talking to people her own race, seeming so happy and in touch. If them not being friends meant she was happier, then to him, it didn't matter that he was suffering. He would gladly stand aside for her own happiness.

Theo opened his door and walked out into the living room where his two other brothers were waiting, along with their father. "Remember," their father said as he held the keys to his truck up to hand over to Mason, but out of reach. "Home by eleven on the dot, not a minute after and not a single scratch or I'll hunt you down myself," he warned.

Good ole papa Raines and his threats.

"Yeah, yeah, we got it pops," Mason said as he snatched the keys out of his father's hand. "We'll bring her back just like we found her, promise," Mason smiled innocently, making Theo roll his eyes as he and Alex followed behind.

"Shotgun!" Alex called out, hopping down the porch stairs. Theo opened doors to the back and climbed in, watching his brothers start the car and start messing with the radio in the front. He sat in the back quietly, looking out the window as they drove to a local venue where their sock hop was taking place. When they finally arrived, Mason and Alex got out and left Theo behind to walk by himself into the venue. He watched as guys from the baseball team and girls alike flocked them, greeting them as soon as they came in.

Theo noticed the obvious divide between the white students and the black students that was going on in the venue. Looks like no matter how hard they tried to push for integration, people are very stubborn and resistant to change. He walked over the punch bowl to get something to drink. It seemed to him that that was the only area both races willingly met up at. He grabbed a cup, filled it up and turned around, ready to walk back to his spot on the wall when he noticed her.

 He grabbed a cup, filled it up and turned around, ready to walk back to his spot on the wall when he noticed her