present day - 20

"Happy birthday princess!" Elijah cheered as he pressed a kiss against her cheek, making her recoil back in confusion and fear.

"You're being...nice," Aaliyah pointed out as he took ahold of her hand and led her towards the passenger seat of his car, opening the door for her before entering from the other side.

"Don't start," Elijah warmed her, before starting the car and driving off. "I'm being nice. Appreciate it," he says, making her sag in her seat.

Elijah then proceeds to take her to a fancy restaurant and told her to order anything she wanted. Aaliyah was skeptical at first but proceeded to order anyway. Elijah took pictures of the food and of her, and when they just were about to leave, the servers came out with a a brownie a la mode with a birthday candle and sung happy birthday to her, making her feel equal parts delighted and shy. Elijah filmed the whole thing on his phone and they both smiled at each other while they shared her dessert.

Aaliyah happily held his hand as they walked back to the car, thinking that somewhere deep inside, Elijah was capable of change. And he's proving it to her right now. He presses a kiss on her cheek before opening the door for her once more like a gentleman. Once they got in, he started to make way towards his house, which confused her. "I️ got a surprise for you," he simply said when he saw the look on her face. Aaliyah giddily wondered what he could've gotten her.

Was it jewelry?
A puppy?
A car?

Okay the last one was a bit of a stretch.

They parked in the driveway but noticed a ton of cars lined up and down the street. "Is someone nearby throwing a party?" She wonders a loud, just as he opens the door to his house and flick on the lights.

"Surprise!"

Aaliyah almost screams in shock as she sees Carolina and a ton of her classmates pop up and cheer. Aaliyah covers her mouth in shock as Carolina rushes up to hug her. "Happy birthday bestie!" She squeezes tightly.

"What the hell Lina?" She gasps.

"Are you surprised?" Carolina playfully bumps her shoulder.

"Yes!" Aaliyah almost cries tears of joy. "This is the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me! Lina, thank you!" She hugs her once more. "You really are the bestest friend."

Carolina smiles back and was about to sag something when a voice behind them yells, "Shots!"

"Ooh! Birthday girl first!" Elijah chimes. Aaliyah laughs behind her as one of his football buddies brings her the first shot of the night.

"Birthday girl! Birthday girl!"

Aaliyah took the shot and threw it back, the burn making her scrunch her face before she smiles again and yells, "Wooo!".

"Play some music!" Carolina orders, and five seconds later trap music blares from the speakers, hyping everyone up. Carolina orders Elijah to bring more shots while everyone comes up to Aaliyah to wish her happy birthday. She couldn't help but keep a smile on her face at the fact everyone pretty much out to celebrate her. And it was all Carolina's doing.

While the party started getting more and more lively, Jackson and Jay both let themselves. Jackson was pissed at the fact that he was even there while Jay watched in fascination as the party unfolded in front of him. There were teens making out, smoking weed, dancing to the latest Future joint and drinking illegal amounts of alcohol, the dark room being lit by red, purple or blue lighting creating a vibe.

Jay punches Jackson's arm excitedly. "Dude! My first high school party!" He says over the music. He then notices the sour look on Jackson's face. "Aw come on man, you've been pouting the entire way here," Jay pointed out.