present day - 9

Jackson was at his locker when it suddenly slammed in his face, making him jump back in fear as he was scared his finger would get smashed. He looked over to see Carolina, giving him a playful smirk. "Oh my God, you should see the look on your face," she laughs.

"Carolina! That wasn't funny! You almost broke my damn fingers," Jackson scolded her. Suddenly the bell rang and he lets out a frustrated groan. He was gonna be late, and he promised his mom that he would be on his best behavior. Although considering the trouble he's been getting into lately, he hasn't been doing too much of a good job at it. But lucky for him, she hasn't caught wind of his personal life troubles. As far as she knows, he's making straight B's, is on the football team and the principal hasn't called her not once, signifying he's doing as well as expected.

Carolina was almost taken aback by his rude words. "Woah. What happened to you over the weekend?" She asked as she walked alongside him. "Are you upset you lost homecoming king?" She asked.

What? No," he denied

What? No," he denied. "I️ can give less than a shit about a plastic crown," he tells her. "Look, I️ really gotta get to class," he interrupts her.

"Okay...well, if you want to talk just find me at lunch, okay?" She offered kindly.

Jackson gave her a quick smile. "Thanks. See you later," he quickly waved off. He hurries to his physics class. When he walked in, he expected to see Aaliyah in her usual seat next to him. But instead, she was in the back, talking to another friend of hers. They made eye contact as soon as he walked in, but she turned back to face the girl she was talking to, blatantly ignoring him.

Jackson rolled his eyes at her actions and just sat down, making himself comfortable since he knew he was gonna sleep in that class.

But before he knew it, a body plopped down right next to him. He looked over, bewildered to find someone else had taken over Aaliyah's seat. The guy next to him looked over at him with a huge smile, ignoring his weirded out expression. "Hey...Jackson right?" He pointed over at him.

Jackson right?" He pointed over at him

"Yeah..."

"Aw man, I️ saw you at the game on Friday. Beautiful pass man," he complimented. When he saw Jackson's blank stares, that was when he realized. "Oh crap, my bad," he holds his hand out for him to shake. "I'm Vijay but just call me Jay, it's way easier that way," he rambles as Jackson reluctantly shakes his hand.