| 21 |

"I need to go back now," Elaric said and hugged Elena and Elastren, "have to report everything that happened here as soon as possible to father

"I need to go back now," Elaric said and hugged Elena and Elastren, "have to report everything that happened here as soon as possible to father."

"Have a safe journey," Elestren once again hugged him.

Elaric turned to Elena and hugged her again as well, "how did you know about the prophecy by the way? Many people are not even aware that it exists."

"Mom always talked about it," Elena gave a small sad smile.

She was not talking about Cienna, that woman would never be her mother. She was talking about her real mother.

Elaric had heard a lot about her and knew she was not alive anymore. So, he didn't ask much and just returned a small smile. They had both lost their mothers and they both could understand how painful it felt. This was the reason the two of them bonded so easily. When he had seen the girl the first time, he thought she was someone who didn't feel empathy, that she was someone who cared about nothing but herself but he was wrong. Elena proved him wrong when she saved him and took care of him when he was injured. She made him feel like he had finally found his sister. This was why he felt extremely protective of her.  

Fryer and pack members paid their respect to him as well. After Elaric left with his knights, everyone finally went inside the packhouse and relaxed.

"This just makes me wonder how strong the rogue king himself is," Jedan said out loud. Elestren gave a worried look to Elena who in return gave her a reassuring look. Fryer noticed their exchange and so did Jaden. 

Jaden placed a hand over Elestren's and looked at her in concern, "you okay?"

Elestren jumped and looked at him wide-eyed before calming herself, "ye..yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired."

Elena yawned and stretched her arms, "I'm going to get some sleep."

"I'll also come with you. It's been a while since I spent some time with you, " Elestren immediately stood up hoping no one noticed how much distress she was in.

Fryer watched the two suspiciously however, he didn't stop them.

"What's up with those two?" Diana asked when they were finally out of sight.

"Who knows," Felix replied looking in the direction they went, "the two have been acting strange since the fight."

"I have this feeling in my gut," Jaden said out loud.

"You and your feelings," Felix rolled his eyes. 

"I'm serious. Call it my mate instincts," Jaden tried to justify.

"What feelings?" Verena asked him as she entered the room they were all in. She was holding a tray full of drinks and started to pass them around. Each took a glass and passed her a thankful smile. 

"I have a feeling that they have some kind of history with this so-called rogue king," Jaden said. Fryer back stiffened when he heard his words. He was suspecting the same but never dared to say this out loud. 

"Who exactly is this rogue king anyway?" Diana questioned. 

"Some asshole for sure," Felix joked which earned him a glare from his mate. 

"What?" Felix looked at her, "he really is an asshole. Trying to spread fear under his name. You should see all the destruction he has caused. If you hear about that, you will find today's events just a piece of cake."

"There are rumors that he was the one who killed the queen," Verena who was silently listening to them said. 

"What do you mean?" Fryer asked her.

"I am not sure where I heard this from but I only heard it once and that was long ago. I was barely a child. I had totally forgotten about this until you guys talked about it now," Verena said, "but I remember someone talking that the queen was killed by a man who declared himself as the leader of rogues. I am not even sure if this person and the rogue king are the same people or not."

Fryer listened to her words carefully. Now he felt extremely worried. Whether what he just heard and what he speculated was true or not, he was concerned about Elena. 

•☾•

The two girls took a breath of relief when no one questioned them. Elena immediately locked the door of their room the moment they went inside the guest house. Elestren stood back as Elena raised her hands and raised them in the air.

"Sfragisméno!"

Faint red light emerged from her hands and a thin sheet of light surrounded the edges of the whole room sealing the room from the inside. It's been a while since Elena used her magic other than looking at a person's memories and it sure as hell felt refreshing.

"What happened in there?" Elestren asked her immediately.

"This fight, it was just his way to send me a message," Elena sigh and sat down.

"H...how?" Elestren stammered letting fear consume her.

"I don't know," she replied in frustration, "but it seemed like he had planned this long ago, long before I left."

"But..that's impossible," Elestren muttered. 

Elena sighed, "he was challenging me to fight him."

"He knows that you can't do that," Elestren said in a panic. She paced around the room before stopping and looked at Elena, "what are you going to do now?"

Elena looked at her with a sad expression. "I have to leave this pack,"

"What? NO!" Elestren cried.

"Me staying here would put you all in danger," Elena tried to reason out.

"But..."

"Listen Elestren. This is your family now, you can't leave them. Father is after me, not you. So please, don't stop me."

"I really don't want you to leave," Elestren cried out and hugged her. "I don't..."

"I know," Elena smiled through the hug. "I don't want to leave as well but you know what he is capable of and with Ciana by his side, he is invincible. Me staying here will only put everyone in danger."

"Let me come with you, " she pulled back and begged.

"We had this talk before, " Elena said in a sad smile, "you need to protect the people here."

"But you..." Elestren tried to reason but Elena stopped her.

"I'll take care of myself and you will take care of your family, "

Elestren wiped her tears, "what about Fryer? He likes you and after how he lost his mate, I don't think he can lose you too."

Elena let a tear fall from her eyes as she heard her words, "but staying here will bring him more pain."

Elestren cried at her words, "at least stay here for a while."

"Alright! Just two more days here. Then I'll leave..." Elena looked away in guilt, "without telling anyone."