Chapter 3

It was finally the weekend. I bit my nails waiting for Scylla to come over to do homework together.

When she arrived, we went up to my room.

"How much homework do you have?" she asked.

"Not too much."

I pulled out my books and got started.

I kept glancing up at Scylla, not being able to concentrate.

She put her hand on mine, "are you alright?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Well I'm all finished so I'm going to go home, I'll see you Monday?"

"Sure, see you."

After she left, I joined my mom on the couch while she watched her medical shows.

"Mom, how did you and dad get together?"

"Oh, well, we both liked each other for a while but eventually he just asked me to be his girlfriend."

I smiled, thinking about my parents being young and in love was so cute. I wish he were still around, I'm sure they would still be in love like they were back then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got to my grandparents' house, I sat on the couch with my sketchbook and just drew. I continued my portrait of Maude.

I listened in on the conversation in the kitchen.

"She's acting a whole lot like David used to, you should get her checked out," said my grandma on my dad's side.

My ears perked up and I continued to listen, what did she mean by that?

"I don't know, she's still young," said my mom.

"David was young too but it only got worse as he got older, trust me on this," she insisted.

My mom didn't say anything. What were they even talking about? There was nothing wrong with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My alarm clock woke me up. Ugh, I still feel so tired but I tried to quickly get ready so I wouldn't keep everyone waiting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bell that announced class was over woke me up. Well, i guess I slept through class.

I have no idea what's even going on in that class, my mom is going to kill me when she sees my grades again.

After school, I pulled Scylla really close and kissed her.

"What was that for?" she asked.

"I just felt like it," I said, thinking about how my dad had the courage to ask my mom to be his girlfriend.

She smiled awkwardly and then we found her mom's car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What was dad like in high school?" I asked, hoping to figure out what exactly my mom and grandma were talking about.

"Oh, he was very smart. He got good grades," she said, "and he was also a very sweet guy."

I could tell she was leaving out a lot of details but I just nodded and went about the rest of my day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked at myself in the mirror.

I wish I were pretty. I wish I could mean something to someone.

"Mom, how old were you when you had me?" I asked.

She seemed hesitant at first but then she answered, "16, and don't you dare even try to do what I did at that age."

"You won't need to worry about that," I said, knowing that I won't be having sex with any man ever.

"Okay now come on, let's get to school."

When we got dropped off, I grabbed Scylla's hand and took her to a secluded area around the building.

"What are you doing?" she asked, giggling.

"I just really want to kiss you again," I said, leaning in.

She kissed me back and we made out this time.

"We're going to be late," she said, rejecting my next kiss.

I rolled my eyes, "fine, let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, I couldn't sleep again. This was becoming an endless pattern. I can't sleep the night before and then I can't wake up the next morning. The cycle never ends.

I couldn't stop thinking about Scylla. I think I should just ask her to be my girlfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your dad went to jail," my mom said.

"Why?"

"Doesn't matter, I just thought I'd let you know since you seem to be interested in knowing all about him."

I didn't say anything, I just nodded.

When I got to my first class, I couldn't concentrate again. I kept thinking about this mysterious man known as my dad. Does she think I'll end up in jail just like he did? Thinking about that put me in a bad mood and I couldn't help but to think that my family thinks I'm going to end up as some delinquent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" it took all my courage to ask her that.

"Oh, no, I'm sorry, can we just be friends?"

Hearing that sentence come out of her mouth crushed me. I thought she felt the same way about me.

I nodded and walked into school. I decided to just skip out and hang out in the bathroom. I waited for Maude but she never came. I've never felt so alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can I do online school?" I asked my mom.

"Why would you want to do online school?"

"I just don't like school."

"I did online school when I was pregnant with you, I would have done anything just to have a normal school experience. Don't take that for granted."

I frowned, no one ever listened to me. Not even my own mother.