Chapter 6

"Okay class, let's all get into a group of 3," said my English teacher.

I just pulled my chair farther into a corner so I could be alone.

"Are you going to be working by yourself?" she asked.

I didn't say anything.

She handed me the assignment, "fine, here."

I got up and left to go see Maude again.

"Good, I'm glad you're in here," I said.

"Why?"

"I just want to talk to somebody," I said.

"Why me though? Why not anyone else?"

I didn't really have an answer, "I guess you're just the only person who I feel like I can talk to right now."

"Okay..."

"I want to see my dad again, I feel like he will be the light of my life that I need."

"Easy, kill yourself," she said.

"What?"

"Kill yourself so you can go to heaven and be with him."

That didn't seem like a bad idea.

"But how?"

"Find some razors lying around and just do it," she said.

"Wait, how do you know he's dead," I said, "I never told you that."

She shrugged and walked out, leaving me all alone.

I guess this is what I'll have to do.

When I got home, I looked through my mom's stuff until I found some extra razors lying around. Perfect, these will do.

I took them with me to the bathroom.

Next thing I knew, I blacked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes slowly opened. My mom was sitting in a chair beside me while my hand was hooked up to an IV and I was surrounded by monitors.

I'm in the hospital.

"What happened?" I asked groggily.

"You passed out in the bathroom, I found you," said my mom with tears in her eyes.

The doctor walked in, "Nicolette, you're awake, your mom will step out for a little while so that you can tell us what happened."

I looked at him confused, what did he mean? All I did was pass out.

"Take your time," he said.

"I don't know, all I remember was blacking out," I said.

"So you don't remember what you were doing with razors in your hands?" he asked.

I gulped, I honestly forgot all about that.

"I wanted to be with my dad."

"Where is he?"

"He's dead."

He typed away at his computer.

"Alright, let me go out there and talk with your mom, I'll be right back," he said.

He shut the door, but little did he know, they weren't soundproof. I can pretty much hear their whole conversation.

"Her behavior has changed a lot in such a short time. She just doesn't seem like the happy girl she used to be. She stopped caring in school and stopped talking to people. I even caught her vaping," she told the doctor. I rolled my eyes.

"Does mental illness run in the family?" he asked.

"Yes, my late husband had depression and anxiety. He died of a drug overdose. Over the years, he's attempted suicide multiple times."

"Well, I also did a drug test on your daughter and she was positive for nicotine and marijuana," he said to her.

"Wow, I don't know where she would have gotten the marijuana from," she said.

"I think it's best if we admit her to an inpatient psych ward, they can evaluate her and give her proper treatment. I'm afraid her condition is more serious than most of our suicidal patients."

A few minutes later, he came back in.

"Okay let's get started on getting you admitted into the psych unit," he said.

My mom held my hand, "I'm going to go home and pack you a bag honey, I'll be right back."

"Pack me a bag? How long am I going to be in there for?" I asked.

"We don't know yet, but you're very sick and I want you to get better."