biopsy

***

"Okay, Percy. Now draw your knees up to your chest, will you?" Will said, as he gathered the things he would need.

Percy did so, and Jason's heart ached. The almost-adult teenager looked so vulnerable and small, in a fetal position. Jason cursed The Fates. He squeezed Percy's hand reassuringly, and Percy squeezed back, letting him know how grateful he was that Jason was there with him.

Percy flinched as Will cleaned up the expanse at the back of his hip. He chose the wrong moment to look back, and his breath caught as he eyed the syringe that seemed too big.

"Shit. That's a big needle you got there, Will." He breathed.

"Sorry, Percy." Will told, as he positioned the syringe, and Percy hissed in pain and looked away as Will injected him.

Percy felt himself relax slowly. The Hecate campers had this created serum, which was made especially for emergency surgeries. It came in handy when demigods got a bullet shot and something equally crazy like that. Never did Will think that he would use the serum on Percy to perform a biopsy.

"So, Percy. You won't feel extreme pain, but you'll feel a slight tingle or small bursts at some point, okay?" Will asked, and a dazed Percy nodded.

"So, I'm going to start now, okay, Percy?" Will asked. Percy simply nodded.

Jason couldn't look at Percy. He wasn't the type to get woozy at the sight of blood, but his heart ached. He didn't want this to happen to Percy. Percy didn't deserve it. All he could do was make sure that Percy knew that he was going to be there for Percy, no matter what.

Percy hissed and squeezed his eyes shot when Will made the cut, but he relaxed again. "I thought you told me that I would feel nothing." Percy gritted out, trying not to show his pain, but squeezed Jason's hand hard. Will let a breath out heavily, keeping his doctor mask up. He couldn't show weakness now, not when Percy was suffering.

"I said extreme pain, Percy. I'm so so sorry, I really am. You're doing good. I'll be moving to the bone next. Do you want a break? Just for a minute?" He whispered.

"No. It's okay. Please get this done with." Percy said urgently.

Jason chose the wrong moment to look over at what the doctor was doing. Will had a small screw-like instrument, and he was getting ready to screw it into Percy's hip bone. Jason thought he was going to be sick as he quickly looked back at Percy again.

"Ah," Percy gasped when Will started.

His eyes squeezed shut again, and this time, he crushed Jason's hand. Jason rubbed Percy's arm with his free hand while letting Percy squeeze the other one as hard as he needed to. He thought his hand was about to break, but he didn't let go of Percy's. Percy didn't scream. He didn't cry or yell out. He kept his mouth clamped shut, just like his eyes, and his face was quickly turning red.

"Breathe, Percy. Just breathe. " Jason coaxed gently when he realized Percy was holding his breath.

Percy sucked in a strained breath, and when he released it, a small whine escaped his lips. Jason had seen Percy hurt on more than a few occasions before, but Percy had always been very good about not making any sound. He always internalized his pain. If he was making sound now, the pain of the procedure must have been significant.

"Okay, okay, Percy. It's alright now. It's almost done" Will said, encouraging the boy. Jason looked up to see tears in Will's eyes.

"Please, make it go away. Is it over yet?" Percy whined.

"Yes, the hard part is done Percy. You did so good, Percy." Will whispered.

Jason got a glimpse of the specimen container he was sealing and putting on ice, but he quickly looked back at Percy when his stomach twisted.