want

So if the grammar doesn't make sense, I'm so sorry. This lockdown has changed so many things. Long rant at the end of the chapter.

***
Annabeth knew something was wrong as soon as she entered the camp. It was too quiet, even though she could still spot many campers in groups here and there. And they all seemed to have a seldom expression on their faces.

"Annabeth!" She heard Piper's voice. She spun to the side to see her rushing towards her. She was immediately engulfed in a big hug. Piper buried her nose in Annabeth's shoulders and sniffled.

Annabeth stiffened.

"Piper..." She spoke gently. "Are you okay? What happened?"

Piper shook her head.

"I- oh. You didn't know?" She asked, her voice small.

"Hazel asked me to come back. She didn't explain what happened." Annabeth told, feeling concerned. Piper was hardly the one to cry so easily.

She looked at the campers, who were also speaking in hushed whispers. The mood was dark, it was like a heavy cloak was draped over the camp.

It was almost like the time when Percy had gone missing. Annabeth felt dread fill her up. She had been so sure that Percy would be the first one to greet her when she came back, but now that she looked around, Percy was no where in sight.

She immediately dismissed her negative thoughts, and curled her finger over her heart, doing the motion that for warding off evil.

Percy could be anywhere. He could be sparring, he could be eating, sleeping, anything. But...

"Piper... What happened?" She asked slowly. "What do you mean, 'you didn't know' ?"

Just then, Jason came walking. "Oh Annabeth, you're here." He said, not sparing Piper a single look.

Annabeth stared between them, her eyes curious. She didn't acknowledge the fact that the two just behaved like they didn't exist to each other.

"Hey, Jason." She said warily, looking at his carefully schooled expression. She turned back to Piper. "So?" She asked.

At the lack of reply, she looked at Jason. "Where's Percy?" She asked curiously. Piper let out a low, pained whine at the question, and Jason seemed to flinch.

Fuck it. Trying to keep bad thoughts away was definitely not working.

"Jason." She said warningly. "Please."

"Infirmary." He whispered, and Annabeth was sure that she had misheard him.

"Infirmary?" She asked surprised, not expecting that. "What happened? Was there a monster attack? Is that why Hazel called me?" She asked, steadily starting to walk towards the place. She didn't realize that Percy could be one among the injured.

Jason grasped her arm.

"Annabeth." He said hesitantly. "You see..."

Piper realized that it hadn't yet struck Annabeth that Percy could be injured after a fight. For Annabeth, even imagining something like Percy wounded was hard.

"Percy isn't keeping an eye on any campers, Annabeth..." Piper told slowly.

"Hmm. Wait. What?" Annabeth paused, staring at Piper incredulously. "What do you mean?"

Both the demigods remained silent.

"Is...is he the one who is injured?" Annabeth asked anxiously, wringing her hand.