The Curse of Cornelius Sigan P2

Gaius had gone to see the king in an attempt to seal the tomb, but, unsurprisingly, Uther hadn't listened to him. Merlyn, despite her concerns, seemed to have other things to worry about, for example, keeping her job.

She had to admit, she may have been running a little late, Gaius having sent her to pick some herbs very early in the morning. Still, as she rushed down the corridor, a plate consisting of three sausages, bacon, fried bread and beans in hand, she didn't quite realise the extent of Cedric's dedication. She opened the door to reveal an awake and dressed Arthur, sitting at a dining room table with a spread of meats, fruit and other rich foods laid out in front of him. Suddenly, in comparison, her hearty breakfast was laughable.

"Is that lunch?" Arthur smirked, nodding to Cedric to pile more meat onto his plate, clearly amused by the situation. In his mind, he had his two servants fighting against eachother for his affections. In hers, she reckoned that she might get the day off.

"It's actually my breakfast, if you have nothing else for me to do Arthur?" she intentionally emphasised his name, daring Cedric to copy her, for the Prince to comment. She knew that the greasy man would be reprimanded for being so friendly with the royal; that Arthur couldn't punish her without destroying his own morals, his own integrity.

"I think Cedric's got it all covered." he didn't even look up to address her, chewing on some strong cheese, something which, in Merlyn's opinion, wasn't necessary in a breakfast.

"Oh, I regret, sire, that there is one thing I've failed to do. I haven't cleaned out your horses." Cedric bowed his head in mock shame, a smirk curling his lips. Arthur, the prick, just laughed, ignoring the fact that Merlyn was glaring at him, silently wishing that daggers would impale him a million times over.

"Off you go." he grinned, shooing away the young servant. She sighed, biting into a sausage from the plate, deciding it was better if the food didn't go to waste. She kicked open the door behind her, glancing over her shoulder once, suspicious to see her replacement eying the keys attached to Arthur's belt.

Gaius had been sent for by Gwen, the girl truly terrified for Morgana. She'd hardly left her bed, spending her time stroking Galahad's shiny fur as he curled up in her lap, lazily wagging his tail. He feared that the King's ward was suffering from her nightmares, his assumptions proved correct when he arrived at her chambers.

"What bird?" he asked after Morgana had described her dream. It was truly sinister, the darkness, the death radiated from her like a sickening perfume, the pain bound into her very notions.

"A raven." she answered, her eyes wide with terror. It was as the physician had thought. The symbol had long been associated with Sigan, his name Latin for the bird. "It was terrifying Gaius. What do you think it means?" she wondered aloud, likely wishing that someone could give her the answers she so desperately sought. Gaius knew that he couldn't be that man. Too many years living in worry had made him reluctant to trifle in matters concerning magic, Merlyn being a rather large exception. He would always try to help Morgana, try to do what was best for her, but he couldn't tell her the truth about her powers.

"Probably nothing." he lied, trying to smile reassuringly.

She didn't believe him. "It's happening again isn't it?"

"Morgana, one raven doesn't mean that your nightmares are returning. Are you taking the sleeping draughts I prepared for you?" Morgana just looked at him with utter despair. "I'll get Gwen to give you something stronger."

"Like a blow to the head? I'm sure she wants to." The ward's attempt at a joke was saddening.