The Nightmare Begins P1

Thunder howled as rain lashed down upon the castle, lightening flashing over the lower town. Merlyn could feel the storm, could sense that something bad was about to happen, but had no idea what could possibly be about to occur. It had been a few weeks since the tournament, the people having seemingly settled down after the euphoria of crowning a new champion, so it appeared to be around the right time for another magical creature or vengeful sorcerer to threaten her destiny.

Hence, she couldn't really be surprised when Arthur woke her, saying that she needed to get to Morgana's chambers as quickly as possible, a grave expression upon his face.

"I came back in with some extra blankets; there was a candle but I put it out." Gwen explained frantically to the King and Arthur, who both stood, watching Merlyn clear up the broken glass from the window. The situation was peculiar: according to Gwen, a fire had started in her lady's chambers, followed by a scream and the sound of glass shattering. The witch had a few suspicions, but she very much doubted that Uther wanted to hear about his ward's potential for sorcery.

"Are you sure?" Uther questioned, still trying to find a reasonable explanation.

"I blew it out, I swear." Gwen looked around the room, meeting the gaze of everyone in it, pleading with them to believe her. Merlyn glanced at the Prince, who nodded silently, understanding what she wanted of him.

"Gwen's been Morgana's servant for years. If she said she blew it out, I believe her." Merlyn smiled in thanks before returning to her sweeping, curious as the King walked up to the singed curtain, the source of the flames.

"She could've been burnt alive." he muttered to himself, touching the blackened material as he spoke. Merlyn thought that this was a bit of an exaggeration, especially considering how quickly the fire went out, but she could recognise Uther's worry.

"Lightening struck the castle roof last night, that could've started the fire." Arthur suggested fairly reasonably, but even Gwen, who was still trying to find an explanation where she wasn't at fault, looked doubtful.

"Perhaps." the King murmured, looking through the cracked window and into the bustling city below.

"What other explanation is there?"

Uther's gaze moved to the shards of glass, probably not admiring the shimmering light fracturing across the floor, the uneven pattern stunning by any standard.

"Someone started the fire deliberately."

They all knew what he was implying, and for once, Merlyn agreed that Uther wasn't too quick to jump to his conclusions. Sorcery had to be the cause, but the King certainly wasn't ready to accept whose magic had produced the flames.

"Arrest all those we have under suspicion." he continued, ordering the potential death sentence without a second thought.

"That's going to take time." Arthur warned, not particularly interested in imprisoning people for crimes they may or may not have commited.

Uther spun to face his son. "My ward has been attacked. Time is something we do not have." He left the room, his black cloak billowing through the door as he descended the spiral staircase.

"What I don't understand, Morgana, is how the fire started in the first place."

Merlyn heard Gaius' voice as she retreated back to her quarters, commanded by Arthur to see how her friend was doing after the evidently traumatic experience. She stopped short of the door, deciding it was better not to intrude.

"It happened so quickly. It was terrifying." Morgana stuttered, her hands trembling in her lap.

"It's alright. You're safe now." The physician stroked the ward's shoulder kindly, worry etched into his features.