The Sins of the Father P2

Arthur had found his father going through some rather important documents in the council chambers, his white quill scratching at the parchment as he ammended the information, probably something to do with taxes or treaties with other kingdoms.

"What is to be the nature of this challenge?" Uther asked his son after the Prince had outlined Morgause's reasons for sparing his life.

Arthur wished he could answer that question. "She didn't say, but I gave her my word that I would accept it no matter what."

"You should never have made such a promise. You have no idea what she might ask of you." The King wasted no time in pointing out his son's failures, but it wasn't like Arthur had many other options at the time.

The Prince did his best not to roll his eyes. "She had a sword to my chest, I had no choice." Uther didn't look convinced, so Arthur decided to try another tactic.

"Morgause said that she knew my mother."

The King finally looked up from his work, setting his quill to the side. "She told you this?"

Arthur nodded. Uther stood from his throne, turning so that he was no longer facing his son. "Obviously she's lying. She's playing on your affections for your mother to lure you into a trap."

The Prince frowned. "That makes no sense. She spared my life."

"It confirms my suspicions. I believe Morgause is an enchantress." Uther stated boldly. Arthur didn't disagree: he knew what his father said to be true, but if he confirmed Uther's notions, there was no way he was getting out of the castle. The guard would be tripled, all access to his chambers blocked. It would make his journey far more difficult than he'd anticipated.

"How else could she have defeated you?"

Maybe a couple of years ago, the idea of anyone beating Arthur, let alone a woman, would've seemed near impossible, but there were far too many people who could match him these days. Even without Morgause's magic, he was sure that she would've held her ground; Uther seemed only capable of saving face.

"I don't believe she was using magic." The Prince lied, just about able to meet his father's eyes.

Uther raised an eyebrow. "And you would know for certain if she were?" Before Arthur had a chance to argue, the King continued to speak. "Under no circumstances will you go to meet her or accept this challenge."

"I gave her my word!" The Prince shouted, striding forward until he was standing opposite his father.

"I don't care what you said to her. You will remain in Camelot." Uther demanded, sitting back at his table, considering the matter at rest.

Arthur was having none of it. "I want to hear what she knows about my mother." He pressed both hands down on the desk, slightly crumpling the papers under his palms.

"She knows nothing, she's lying. You will not go to her. I forbid it." Uther raised his voice, glaring at his son's insolence.

"So I'm to break my word." Arthur sighed, wondering what the point of the code was if he was just meant to bend it to his every whim.

"Escort my son to his chambers." The King snarled, "Under no circumstances will he be allowed to leave."

The guards marched forward, hovering just behind the Prince's shoulders. "You're confining me to my chambers?" Arthur sounded exasperated, trying to remain calm when, deep down, he was fucking fuming.

His father did not extend the same courtesy. "I'm protecting you from your own foolishness!" he practically screamed, watching as the guards dragged the Prince out of the room.