The Witch's Quickening P1

Keep going, keep going, keep going.

Merlyn woke to a voice in her head, one that sounded incredibly familiar. If she didn't know better, she would say that it was Mordred, his indistinct mutterings forcing her awake. She had half a mind to reach out to him, to tell him to shut up so that she could get back to sleep, but thought better of it.

Keep going, hurry!

For fuck's sake.

Careful not to wake Arthur up, she rolled out of bed, dressed quietly and snuck out the room, glancing back at the sleeping Prince. He looked so innocent in the moonlight; she wasn't appreciating the interruption from the druid.

Keep going. It's not much further now.

Rushing through the corridors, she could hear her own heavy breaths. The witch had no idea why Mordred was back, but there was no mistaking his voice now. She cursed her tired mind, trying desperately to pinpoint where the sound was coming from.

We're nearly there. Be careful... There are guards at the end of the corridor... Morgana's chamber is next.

Of course it was.

Morgana had to say that she was shocked when she was woken up by Mordred. She hadn't seen him since they were at the druid camp; she'd never found out if they'd truly made it. Seeing the boy brought her a wave of relief, that her actions hadn't caused the deaths she'd anticipated.

"I never thought I'd see you again." she gasped, stroking the boy's hair dotingly.

"I found him wandering in the woods. Lost and alone, hunted by Uther's men." A man, one the ward had never seen before, spoke from the shadows, his tone fearless as he admitted openly about harbouring a fugitive. She wanted to ask about what happened to the druids, but felt that this was neither the time nor place to question the druid boy.

"Who are you?" she asked instead, gazing up at the strange man.

"My name is Alvarr. I too have been hunted by Uther since I was a child." he replied hauntingly. Morgana gave him a long look, knowing far too well not to trust strange men, even if they did bring people you thought you'd lost.

"You have magic." she stated, not really expecting an answer.

Alvarr nodded. "Yes, my lady." he sounded proud, rather bold considering she was the King's ward. "As did my parents and their parents before them. They were fortunate to live in a time of peace. Before your King declared war on sorcery."

He was angry, Morgana would've had to be both blind and deaf not to see that. "I too have known Uther's cruelty." she sighed, stroking her wrist where iron chains had cut into the skin far too many times.

"Magic is not a crime. It is a gift. I wish to walk free and without fear. The boy said you would understand." Alvarr monologued, tugging on the ward's heartstrings. Merlyn had once told her to never trust a man who spoke more than he acted, but, judging on how this stranger managed to sneak into the city, he certainly seemed ready to burst into action.

"What are you doing in Camelot? You take a great risk in coming here." Morgana questioned, suddenly wondering what kind of person would put Mordred in so much danger.

Alvarr met her gaze. "We came to see you." he said evenly, apparently untroubled by the warning bells echoing in the distance. "I will not stand by and watch innocent people destroyed. And I am not alone. Many have already joined me."

"This is a war you cannot win. Uther has an army at his disposal." Morgana pleaded, not wanting to see her druid boy hurt.

"It doesn't matter how many you are, if you wield a weapon powerful enough. When I was a child, my parents told me of a crystal. It was taken from the sorcerers in the last days of The Great Purge."