Sweet Dreams P3

Uther had been rather uncharacteristically quiet when he and Olaf had stormed into Vivian's chambers the night before, but, judging by his weary eyes, he had spent the night trying to do some damage control. His presence in Arthur's quarters, however, told Merlyn that not much had come of it.

"It's no good. I've spoken to Olaf and he will not rescind the challenge. He says that his honour has been tainted. He demands recompense." Uther said gravely, gesturing in a sort of hapless acceptance.

The prince, who should've been at least disappointed with the news, sprung from his bed with an optimism the servant thought was dangerously close to lunacy.

"You didn't have to do that father." he beamed, far too cheerful to truly comprehend his situation.

The king stared at his son for a moment, genuine worry creasing his forehead. "The fight is to the death. What did you think you were doing."

Arthur shrugged; Merlyn fought the urge to roll her eyes. She hadn't liked the prince the last time he'd fallen under one of these stupid enchantments, but this time, with his spontaneous and unsuitable happiness, she found him even more infuriating.

"You can't help who you fall in love with." Arthur stated, which, the servant admitted was true, especially when you were literally under a spell.

"You do realise that your actions threaten the peace talks and that they may yet bring war to Camelot?" Uther sounded quite terrifying, even if Merlyn wasn't the brunt of his anger. Somehow, Arthur didn't take the hint, his head still in the clouds.

"I am happy to fight for what I believe in."

The king opened his mouth to reply, but instead, shook his head, turning swiftly to the servant, who was currently sharpening the Prince's sword.

"What's happened to him?" he asked, but Merlyn could do little more than give him an exasperated look. This wasn't really the time to go into detail about the enchantment, nor the fact that Alined was using magic. If nothing else, it would cause another rift and possibly even another war; the servant didn't really want to be responsible for that if Uther, for some reason, decided to believe her.

Luckily, Arthur answered for her. "The Lady Vivian, nothing more. And yet who could wish for more."

The king gave his son a long, confused look, before holding his hands up in surrender, glancing at Merlyn with something akin to pity, and left the room. Meanwhile, the prince skipped back to his bed, jumping onto the blankets with dreamy eyes.

The witch managed to escape back to Gaius' quarters after she had finished polishing the prince's armour, glad to be out of his company for a while. There was only so many sonnets Merlyn could listen to Arthur compose about Vivian's golden hair before she hit him over the head with a vase of roses.

"I don't understand it. Trickler's magic is strong, but surely it can't be stronger than mine?" she sighed, pulling the petals off one of the flowers Gwen had given her.

"These love potions are strange things." the physician frowned, grinding up some herbs for a poultice.

"Is there no other way to stop the fight?" Merlyn tried to find something, any solution which could help her. This wasn't like with the wraith, she couldn't just take up the prince's place on a whim.

"The only way is to unenchant Arthur. And unenchant him fast." Gaius gave the witch a meaningful look, one that told her just how much danger they were in. If Olaf killed Arthur, there was no way that Uther wouldn't start a war to avenge his son, and if Arthur killed Olaf, then his men would start a war. Alined couldn't lose.