Start Anew

Notes:

Welcome to the RESURGANCE OF FLUFF. And it's a long chap! This is the precursor to what I personally think is the funniest, most tickling thing I've ever written?? Im just excited for the next chapter and this chapter hints at it :)

---

"So what you're saying," Tony starts, "is that these things you quote are called 'Vines.'" He puts up air quotes and Peter nods while sitting up straighter on the cot. "And Vines have no relation to the green, hanging foliage in jungles." Peter then promptly shakes his head. "But now Vine is 'dead?'" Tony uses air quotes again, and Peter regretfully nods.

"May it Rest In Peace." Tony raises a skeptical eyebrow, but continues nonetheless.

"So now they're on YouTube in video compilations..." He eyes Peter warily as he repeats the information.

"Pretty much! And the super good ones are fun to quote, especially when someone else knows the reference. Like if I were to say 'road work ahead' someone could say 'yeah, I sure hope it does!'" Peter smiles widely in anticipation, but Tony just stares at him.

"I'm...concerned about what you find funny, kid."

"Awe c'mon! That's a great one! Hold on, I'll pull up the video." Peter reaches for his phone on the bedside table, but Tony interrupts him.

"Hold on, I still don't understand the difference between Vines and Me Me's. Then there's all those weird words you kids seem to use. Why can't you all just use one of the tens of thousands of words already in the English Dictionary?" Tony questions with exasperation. They've been going over all this stuff for the last half hour and Tony still doesn't get it.

"No no no, they're called memes, Mr. Stark. You don't pronounce the second 'e,'" Peter corrects. Tony crosses his arms and leans back slightly in his plastic chair.

"Okay, fine. Do enlighten me on what memes are," he copies Peter's tone and pronunciation. Peter's face instantly lights up and he grabs his phone.

"Most of the good memes come from Twitter, but sometimes there's some from Tumblr and Facebook, too." Tony suddenly snaps his fingers in recognition.

"Facebook! I know that one," he proudly admits. Peter stares at Tony for a few moments before looking back down at his phone. "What? Is Facebook not lit enough for you, fam?" Peter slowly looks back up at him.

"Mr. Stark, please stop. I'm begging you," he pleads.

"Chillax, Pete. No need to get triggered about it." Tony is doing it on purpose now. He wants me to suffer, Peter comes to the conclusion.

"Oh my god, this is how I die," he groans and lies back on the cot.

"Not on my watch, Underoos."

"I just wanted to show you funny Vines, maybe update you on some memes. Make your boring, old, billionaire life a little brighter with yeet and fr e sh a voca do. I don't deserve this," Peter preaches with his arm over his face. "You're so out of date that it hurts." Tony scoffs and crosses his arms.

"What are you talking about? I'm hip." He pops the "p" and has the audacity to smirk, knowing how much it's destroying Peter's soul.

"Nope! Y'know what? I'm just gonna keep referencing Vines and if you don't understand them, I hope you think back to this moment. I tried to help you." Peter purses his lips and raises his eyebrows before turning his attention back to his phone.

"Sheesh, what a pouter," Tony chuckles. A comfortable silence envelops them and he scrolls through his Stark Phone as Peter stares through his cracked screen. With as quiet as it is, Peter can't help but start to think over the past twenty-four hours in his head. He got punched in the face then got slipped alcohol which could have killed him, but surprisingly that's not what sticks out. What pulls at his attention is the memory of Tony's phone call.