17. Crutches

Freya's P.O.V-

"It's okay, Axel. You can come down the ladder now. No one is here." Freya pried, standing at the bottom of the barn and looking up at the loft, where Axel sat, his legs hanging over the side as he stared down at her.

"I don't know." He answered  in a matter of fact like tone, biting his lip in unease as he looked over the edge, his green eyes looking toward the entrance.

"Well I do. It's safe. I promise." She added softly, raising a hand to brush a stray hair behind her ear. She had put her hair in a neat side braid and worn another simple outdoor dress. She watched as Axel disappeared from the edge and reappeared at the top of the ladder.

Freya smiled widely, walking over the straw covered ground and standing below him as he turned and slowly climbed down it, keeping weight off of his ankle. After a minute, he was almost down and Freya moved out of the way as his good foot touched the floor, then his other one. He kept one of his hands on the ladder to hold himself up better and keep his ankle in the air. Freya stood straight across from his and the two just stood there for a moment, staring at each other with a happy expression on their faces. They didn't have to worry anymore!

Freya cleared her throat, "Well, I guess we should get you out in the sun. Come on." She felt excitement rise up inside her as she began walking toward the barn doors. She looked back and saw Axel staring after her, a hopeless expression on his face.

"Broken." He muttered, motioning towards his foot as he kept near the ladder.

Freya blinked. Oh. Right. Her blue orbs explored the barn as she looked for something to help support him. Then she remembered when her Grandpa had twisted his ankle. He had a pair of crutches in the closet downstairs inside. She would just have to get Axel inside first.

"Here, put your arm around me. We'll get you inside first, okay?" She suggested, walking over to hi and looking up at him to see if that was okay.

He looked down at her and nodded, releasing his grip on the ladder and allowing Freya to get on the left side of him so he could place his arm around her and keep his ankle in the air between them. They looked at each other, and Freya blinked in surprise as she realized how close their faces were. Awkwardly, she turned and looked straight ahead and as she did she heard a low chuckle from Axel. She cleared her throat in embarrassment and began a slow pace, Axel keeping up as he limped beside her. They entered the sunlight, it was another sunny day. The sun warmed her skin as they made their way up the path toward the house.

Freya stole a glance up at Axel, watching his green eyes explore the land around them. Since they were out in the light now, his eyes weren't as dilated and allowed the green in them to become larger. She couldn't help but wonder how he had gotten such pretty eyes. A breeze from the coast ruffled his hair gently and he grinned, turning to her so she quickly looked ahead, feeling his eyes on her for a moment before he looked away. As they slowly made progress toward the house, Freya's eyes landed on the garden nearby. It was still dead and twisted in weeds and thorns. The sight saddened her so she looked away, focusing on the house as they traveled without speaking.

They climbed to steps of the porch and then Freya let Axel go, to open the door for him but he hopped in front of her, wincing as he accidentally stepped on his ankle. She watched as he painfully opened the door for her, stepping back and holding it open. She blinked and narrowed her brows and walked in, confused and a little amused as he followed slowly. He stood beside her, looking around her home.

"I-it's not much...but it's home." She said quickly, suddenly feeling a little self conscious as he continued looking around, his emeralds exploring the room.