18. Pie.

Freya's P.O.V-

Freya opened the warm oven, reaching into it with gloves and pulling out a tin container. Immediately, the smell from inside wafted over her and she grinned, the scent strong and delicious.  It was an apple pie her grandma had prepared, the only thing left was to bake it so Freya had gladly stuck it in the oven for her and Axel to share. She carried it over to the counter, setting it down carefully and looking at it, inspecting it for any flaws. But no, it was almost perfect. The light brown crust that covered it gently released steam and carried an apple-y scent with it and it wasn't at all burnt. Freya turned her blue orbs toward the main room to see Axel trying to read a recent newspaper. He looked up, meeting her gaze and raising an eyebrow curiously as Freya just smiled and looked down, pulling out a knife to cut the pie up.

She sliced the average sized pie into four pieces, then decided to do eight because they were fairly large pieces. Freya got out two plates and she picked up a piece and set it on it for Axel, then she got a piece for herself. She brought the plate up to her nose and inhaled the scent, sighing in content. She got forks and then she carried the plates out to the main room. Axel was still fixed on the sofa, holding the newspaper in his hands. Freya noticed his face was a little pale, his eyes wide as he read something. Then, he heard her enter the room and he folded the newspaper, setting it down on the floor and then patting the empty space beside him. Freya smiled warmly and walked over to the sofa, handing him his plate and then sitting next to him, leaving room between them.

Axel studied the piece of pie for a moment and then raised the fork and cut a piece and stuck it in his mouth. He grinned at her, eyes bright, and motioned for Freya to try it. She already knew that it would taste good, she had had them before. She took a small bite and tasted a burst of fresh apple, sweet and satisfying as she swallowed it.

"Do you like i-" Freya turned her head and looked back at Axel and then froze, watching him finish the last of his piece, his life revolving completely around that piece of pie for a moment. Setting his plate down, he eyes her piece.

"That was...not good," He began, "But fantastic. More?" He asked, eyes on her piece of pie.

Freya blinked and shook her head. "You just swallowed that piece of pie whole...and no." She replied slowly, still wondering how he had managed to eat it that fast. Maybe she hadn't been feeding him enough...

Axel sighed and tilted his head down, then looked up at her with what she assumed was supposed to be 'puppy eyes.' Freya shook her head again and he sighed again and then asked, "Please?"

Freya narrowed her eyes, "You'll get sick." She stated.

"No." He smirked. "I will be fine." Then, he suddenly shot his arm out and tried to grab her plate, Freya gasping as he leaned forward and reached across her as she held it out of his reach.

"Fine! It's in the kitchen!" Laughing, she pointed with a finger toward the kitchen, but he didn't stop trying to get her piece of pie. "Axel!"

He was laughing as he got hold of her plate, his other arm reaching around her as she found herself between his arms as he firmly but gently pried her hands loose of the plate. Face turning a slight shade of red as he pulled away with her piece of pie, she turned and stared at him, blue orbs meeting green. He smirked and glanced down at the piece and then held it out for her. Freya calmed a little, taking a breath as she reached for it. But at the last moment before she was about to grab it he pulled it back, letting out a loud laugh as he watched her blush in embarrassment.

"T-This isn't funny!" She protested, half laughing as she tried to grab it again.

"Yes." He stated, calming down from his laughing fit and then holding it out again.

Freya narrowed her eyes suspiciously as he waited, putting a hand on her hip and then holding out her other hand. He smiled widely, raising his dark eyebrows as he waited for her to take it from him. Freya stood up and then, facing him, slowly reached her hand out to take it. Breaking out in laughter again, he swiftly raised the plate from his sitting position and put it behind him. Freya opened her mouth, looking for words but she couldn't find any and she just ended up pursing her lips and holding in laughter as she tried to grab it. She reached forward as Axel laughed, and then she tripped over his splint. And fell forward.

She caught herself before their heads smacked together, her hands on both sides of his head against the sofa and his arms catching her, holding her up from her waist so she didn't land completely on top of him. He grinned with the effort to hold in laughter as his face reddened slightly, his green eyes closing as the moment he caught her there was the sound of a plate hitting the floor behind the sofa. He had dropped the plate behind him. She stared into his emerald like eyes as he stared into hers. Faces only inches apart, Freya blinked as Axel slowly leaned forward, pushing her up so she could regain her balance. She could feel the heat in her cheeks as he let go of her, the edges of his mouth twitching with the effort not to laugh. Freya backed up to create space between them.

"Are you okay?" He asked, voice holding a tone of humor.

"Y-yes. But my pie is not." She replied softly, brushing off her dress as she looked around him, where she could see a piece of crumbled pie. Axel ducked his head, chuckling slightly as he looked back up at her.

"Sorry." He said quickly, taking her quiet reply as disappointment, his green eyes guilty.

"No, Axel, it's okay. There's plenty more!" She smiled, walking around the sofa and reaching down and grabbing the piece of pie and the plate. "I'll get more." She walked into the kitchen and she placed the plate in the sink and threw the pie away.

She began getting another piece but then decided to just bring the whole container out, she figures Axel would finish most of it. Walking out, she sat back next to him and she got her fork, scooping some of the pie out and taking a bite. Axel held back, guilt still in his eyes as he watched her eat.

"Axel, for real. It's okay. Go on." She gave his fork to him and watched as he reached into the container and scooped some out, taking a large bite and practically swallowing it whole as he immediately reaching for more.

Freya reached down and grabbed the newspaper, her eyes scanning over the front page. Across the head of the newspaper were the big, bold words that said, "America is finally here!" She looked under the heading and continued reading as Axel scooted closer so he could eat more pie. Japan had sent a bunch of fighter planes and a few subs to destroy a Navy base in Pearl Harbor. '1941, Japanese challenges America! America is on the way to strike back!' She skimmed over the page, then saw a few American soldiers next to some English, all laughing and shaking hands and smoking cigarettes as a trampled German and Japanese flag was on the ground next to them. She turned the page and saw another simple black and white photo of Winston Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain, shaking President Roosevelt's hand.

Freya knew that with America, they would have a high chance of winning this war. That meant that less soldiers would have to die.

Then she became aware of how quiet it had suddenly become. She turned her head to see Axel staring at the paper next to her, his face returning to that pale, concerned expression as he read along with her.

He slowly turned his head to meet her eyes, raising a hand to run it through his black hair. She looked down, knowing that the fact that America was joining the war was not good for Germany. But it meant that Germany wouldn't so easily be able to kill English soldiers. Axel let out a long sigh, his waves flopping back down as he removed his hand and looked down too. Freya put the newspaper down, her heart feeling heavy. Well, this didn't help much.

She looked up say something but there was a strong knock on the front door. Axel's head shot up, alarm in his eyes. Freya grabbed his arm and stood him up and led him, limping, toward the closet by the stairs. She opened the door and she let him get in, closing it but leaving it slightly cracked. She then turned, her heart pounding as she walked toward the door.

She prayed that no one had found out about Axel.