25. Ambush

Rogers P.O.V.-

Roger sat on the edge of the path that led to the base. He sighed loudly, sweat rolling down his forehead as he studied a few rocked on the ground.

They should be here soon.

Unless they already arrived at the base...

"You sure you have all of the money? Because if we don't get our fair share of pay, you'll be-"

"Yes, I have it all. Now just shut up and wait." Roger interrupted, turning to the man who had spoken.

Behind Roger, there were a handful of men who Roger had hung around throughout his childhood. They weren't the smartest or the most peaceful crowd to be around but Roger had gotten to know most of them. They relied on each other, because they didn't have anyone else.

"Alright." The man huffed. His name was James, he was the leader of a small group of rowdy guys. His dark hair was ruffled and his dark eyes were staring down at a rifle as he traced the trigger with his index finger.

Riger blinked and looked away, standing as he watched the road. Him and five others were waiting for the soldiers and Freya to arrive and then, they would take Freya and Axel and escape. After they handled the guards and successfully got away, Roger had promised to pay each man a large sum of money. Each had agreed. Roger had told everyone to try to avoid injuring...or killing...the soldiers, but he had also told everyone to do whatever was necessary to save Freya and Axel.

Roger turned, eyesing the bunch of men he had brought. All were in good shape and tough looking and each one had a gun and more on him. They were all about 15 and older, most kicked out from their home or orphans. Like him.

Roger sighed again, turning back and then narrowing his hazel eyes against the glare of the sun as he saw shapes far out in the distance.

"Get up! Here they come! Get some cover!" Roger commanded, looking around and watching the men take peeks at what they were dealing with, and then go and hide behind a group or bushes or trees. Roger saw a fairly large rock and he ducked behind it, peering out.

Within a few moments, three horses appeared farther back on the road, riding slowly. Roger saw a soldier on one in the front, and behind him there was a soldier and a shirtless Axel who had his hands tied behind him. He was facing away from Roger so Roger couldn't see whether he was conscious or not. His eyes landed on the last horse, with another soldier and then Freya, who sat silently staring at the ground, face devastated. Roger narrowed his eyes. Why did they take her? Why not just Axel?

They approached them, then they were almost there. Roger crouched lower as the guards were in the ambush site, hearing them laugh and joke amongst themselves as the went along, unaware of what was about to happen. Roger looked over at James and nodded, signaling it was time to attack. James whistled once. Then, chaos.

There were screams from the horses as the men jumped out, scaring them, and yells and shocked protests from the Soldiers as they were bucked off of their horses as Roger and the others ran around them. Two of them grabbed Freya as she and the soldier were bucked off, dragging her away from the fight and behind the trees for cover. Roger watched her eyes widen and then watched as she kicked the guys dragging her away, then stood up and ran toward Axel. Roger cursed and dove into the action, seeing one unconscious soldier and the other ones being tied up with their hands behind their back. Axel was lying on the ground, he had fallen off of a horse. Roger approached the two men that guarded the two soldiers.

"What is this? Let us go!" One soldier yelled, adding some colorful words in as Roger shook his head.

"Knock them out." He told the two, and they quickly hit the soldiers in the head with their guns, not hard enough to cause too much damage but hard enough to knock them out.

"Good." Roger passed them as they laughed and began talking to each other, then he approached the still body that was Axel. He felt concern rising inside himself but he didn't show it on his face.

Riger stooped down, Freya arriving at his side and rolling him over so they could see his face. Freya began gently patting him.

"Axel? Axel, are you okay?" She felt his pulse abs Roger stayed quiet, a grin on his face. "This isn't funny, Roger!" She yelled, her blue eyes filled with concern.

Roger shook his head and then gently reached forward, acting as if he was going to touch Axels face, but then he suddenly lashed out and smacked him across his cheek, chuckling when he heard Freya gasp. Axel's eyes shot open and he gasped awake, sitting up and flinching in pain as he moved his foot.

"Alright, we have to get moving before the guards wake up. Can you walk?" Roger took charge of the situation as Freya stood up, walking over to one of the horses and calming it down. She brought it over as Roger helped Axel up, supporting him as he climbed on. Freya got another horse and led it over to Roger.

"W-Where are we..going...?" Axel murmured, Freya hopping up onto it, getting in front of him so she could control the reins.

"I'll explain everything later." He promised. He dug out his wallet, which held all the money he had been saving up in the last two years and he tossed it to James, who stood silently near the trees, the men behind him as they all waited. James nodded and they all turned and walked away. Roger sighed.

He hopped onto the horse and then he led the way as the three rode back toward the direction of town.